Q. FST3257 CMOS Multiplexer as a DBM

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by VK4HAT, Sep 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

fst3257-mixer-schematic.jpg

In various designs on the interwebs i have found a number of permutations of using this IC as a mixer as a DBM in a superhet RX. With bias applied to 1 port only, both ports as above, bias applied to the S port, using 2 switches as above in 1x1 or using all 4 switches in a 2x2 configuration, and with the B bus as input and A bus as output, the reverse of above. What i have not found is the pro's and cons of all these, slightly different ways of doing things.

Has anyone used this IC as a mixer? Is so what are the pro's and cons of all these minor variations? I am trying to skip the build 12 different versions to characterise all of them to see what is actually is needed and what is folk law. Real information i am having trouble finding.

And before anyone says, look in the datasheet, go look in the datasheet yourself. Actually if you dont know, dont even answer my question. I have had enough of them today as it is. ;)

YG8RQN likes this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The answer is bias at least the RF input to 1/2 Vcc and get S close to its max input rating because it improves IP3.