Purchased a Yaesu FT-857D....now for an antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD0PEZ, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

For a couple of years I used an ATAS-120 and found it satisfactory for a lightweight installation featuring autotuning.

It's a compromise antenna on 40 meters and that's why I upgraded to a Tarheel 40A.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. N2ZNC

N2ZNC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you operate "Mobile" you cant really be picky with your contacts. You have to take what you can get. Why? Well simple antenna principles. In the mobile operation, you are moving, therefore the major principles of "take-off" angle, variations in speed, variations in signal strength and the ever passing bus or 18 wheeler... So if you think you are being picky in being mobile, you will simply be kidding yourself. And no not "Anything" will work.. If "anything" works, then hang a clothes wire out your window and pray for the best.. There are many limitations in operating "mobile" the greatest limitation is in antenna selections. If you live where there are no tree branches to worry about, overpasses or other things that will rip your whip off, you can get what you want.

So you choose the best you can
    1. afford
    2. works easily
    3. Can change bands easily and finally isnt too ridiculous..

If you want the benefit of "operating at home" then operate at home..
    To anyone who wants to operate mobile and doesnt want the car to tip over from some 18ft can attached to their bumper go with common sense..

nuff said.... What's that mean?? Its a forum nobody gets a "last word"..

George
    N2ZNC

KI7ILG and KX4CC like this.
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I recommend the Little Tarheel II, Ameritron controller with presets, an Autotuner and the long whip for the LTII. U Lose 6M, but HF Performance difference is staggering! Of course, Keep the short whip when U want to use 6! Easy to interchange.

For 2M/450 buy a dedicated dualband antenna. I just got a Comet and it works great. I never use the VHF/UHF part of the radio anyway. A Separate rig is preferred.

4. BH3MDE

BH3MDE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT857 is very good fuctions HF radio

5. AA4HA

AA4HA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an '857 and an ATAS-120. Most of my use is when backpacking and I thought that the '120 would be a decent ground mounted vertical. I put down a radial field (I also have the ground plane kit for the ATAS-120) with eight 33' long wire radials. It works (sort of) but is not a spectacular performer. I replaced the whip with an extendible element so it would pack easier. After a while I just went with a wire dipole that I could string up between two trees.

I still have the ATAS-120, if I ever got a large vehicle like a truck I might use it.

It is a compromise antenna. I fell for the "idea" and unwisely ignored the little warnings in my head. Mobile HF seems do-able up to 20 meters without too much hassle. Getting to 40 would be nice but usually when I am in the car I spend more time driving than chatting.

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

This seems to be the TRENDY radio of the day. Back when, it was the Icom IC-706. Now it is the 857D. I have one now too. Still trying to decide whether to put it in the car, or keep it for a portable station. I had planned that with my FT-817, but that was too QRP to get out. So now I will use the 857D or the De-commissioned IC-706MK2 for portable. Lotsa folks more and more are getting 857Ds. Seems to be the HW-101 of the 21st Century!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.