PTT switch

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by VE4BLB, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VE4BLB

VE4BLB Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you use when you make your own PTT switch. I was thinking of using a plastic pill bottle with a push button in one end and the cable coming out the other.

2. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a great idea! If it is comfortable in your hand - do it!

3. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pill bottles have been used for decades for PTT switch enclosures.

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

That works.
    Plenty of surplus Pendant switches (nurse call) from hopsitals, nursing homes, and care facilities -- at their surplus equipment sales.

I have seen hundreds of pendant and foot switches over the years at hamfests, flea markets, craigslist, QTH swap, eBay, etc.
    Radio amateurs will walk right by them (not realizing what they are) -- THEN complain at the coffee tables that they did not "see any" in the flea market.

w9gb

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That will work but I sure hate having to hold something in my hand while operating at home.

What's shown below is so much nicer, and these are very cheap and found everywhere. The Yamaha footswitch shown is $15 at B&H Photo and a hundred other retail shops.

Does the job well, leaves both hands free...

Attached Files:

6. W0LPQ

Completely agree Steve ... nothing beats a good footswitch. We had big ones in the Comm Center at Collins in the 60's.

7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I made mine out of a plastic 35 mm film canister. Used a momentary push button from Rad Shak. It works well for what I use it for, which is my headset.

8. W0LPQ

Mark you are dating yourself. Mine was also from a 35mm film canister. Rest were pill bottles ... think I liked the 35mm canister the best .. except when I built my footswitch some 35 years ago..

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Are we that far behind the times?

I hate to say it But CB'ers perfected remote keying 11m technology 50 years ago > D-104 with a long cord and the base PTT switch . Sit it on the floor next to your barcolounger and key it with yer big toe......

10. K1DNR

K1DNR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used a cheap sustain pedal for a piano keyboard, but I had to flip the contacts from n/c to n/o. Works great.

Here's one for $14 at Amazon.com M-Audio SP-2

11. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Marlin P. Jones has some $7 or so foot switches -- not super quality, but they work.

If you want really cool hand-held, use a piece of PVC pipe and a bicycle handlebar grip. Just don't use it at the airport or when El Presidente is nearby. :p

12. KE3WD

KE3WD Ham Member QRZ Page

The Sustain Pedal meant for those MIDI electronic keyboards does indeed make a great footswitch for this purpose.

A benchtop switch can be easily made from an old corded computer mouse by removing the rollerball and rewiring the cord such that two wires are connected directly to the mouse button microswitch.

Keep the eyes open in the thriftshops and garage sales, old "dictaphone" type recorders and the like were footswitch controlled and often cough up some rather sturdy stuff along these lines.

And I'm recalling the Old Timer who fastened one of his old J-38 keys to a thin board, adjusted the contacts for a rather wide spacing and placed it under the operating table for his footswitch...

13. N5JLD

N5JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Like this one......

[​IMG]

14. WB2WIK

Who'd want to hold a PTT switch in their hand?

15. N5JLD

N5JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

People without legs for starters.

16. WB2WIK

Good answer!

17. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Try this. This is how I made mine. The hand grip is a soft bicycle handlebar grip.
    The switch is a soft touch momentary from Radio Shack Cat #275-1566

K3022b.jpg

18. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my Heil FS-2 footswitch - it's very rugged and leaves the hands free for operating the rig and logging on the computer, drinking my beer, talking in Italian, etc. I also have a small homebrew pushbutton.

19. KC9RJI

KC9RJI Ham Member QRZ Page

My hand keyer from pvc tubing and 2 end caps.... IMG_0062.JPG

20. WB2WIK

I agree. Someone who has no legs might not like a footswitch, but for the rest of us it makes a lot of sense. If I have to hold a "button" in my hand, I might as well hold the whole mike in my hand.

Don't want to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.