ad: PortRo-1

psk31 ??

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KB5YKL, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
  1. KB5YKL

KB5YKL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking of trying some of the digatal modes and i have NO experance here..amtor. packet.ritty.voice.its all greek to me..what ever i start with has to work with a kenwood ts-50..Whats good stuff to look for ?? any ideas would help thanks bill :confused:
  2. K8YZK

K8YZK Ham Member QRZ Page

Do a google search for PSK31 operation and it will help you find the info you are looking for. Yes you can use a TS-50 for psk and other digital modes.

3. KC0ZZH

KC0ZZH Guest

The modes are a lot of fun...personally I'd start out with PSK31 as in my experience it has the most people on it regularly that would love to help you out.
  4. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely give PSK a shot! This is how I got started in HF and for about a year, it was all I ever operated. Digipan is probably the easiest piece of software to use if you are going to go with PSK. There are many other programs out there, such as FLdigi and Ham Radio Deluxe (with DM780) that allow you to operate a great many digital modes. But I would recommend downloading Digipan.
  5. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I was active on RTTY, HF/VHF Packet in the late 1980's when there was tons of activity on Packet. I lost interest until a few years ago when I bought a TS2000 which has a TNC built in the sub band. Unfortunately those crammed frequencies of the 1980's are dead silent now.

About 6 months ago I purchased a RigBlaster and have been active on RTTY and mainly on PSK31. I have made some very good contacts on PSK31 at a time frame from 0300 - 0900 Eastern Time with many contacts to the west coast and also Hawaii. I did this with a half wave 80 meter dipole cut for the CW band, 100 watts, antenna height about 45' above ground and 350' above sea level. Some days I have so much fun that I can make a dozen or so contacts with more than the standard exchanges.

I recently moved to a new QTH and I sold my TS2000 so I am looking for a new HF rig right now, I already have everything else I could possibly use.
  7. KB5YKL

KB5YKL Ham Member QRZ Page

i down loaded digipan and it works great i will play there and see how it goes...thanks again all ..bill:D :D
  8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you are using Digipan which is an excellent PSK software for beginners, if you decide to to change your software and use one with some refinements I suggest you download Airlink Express. Easy to use with a nice operating page it was designed for Vista and works well with XP.

9. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably the most active PSK frequency is 14.070, upper sideband.
  10. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

How does it work if your computer does not have Microsoft "Access"?

Frank :)
  11. K1OIK

K1OIK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you hate talking to people and like reading prepared scripts, use PSK
  12. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had never been on any digital mode, and a few months ago, I decided to give it a try for the Triple Play Award.

I followed the advice on this page:

And built the interface (if you can call it that) on this page:

My interface looks almost as high-tech as the one shown on that page. Within a few minutes of putting down the soldering iron, I was making contacts, and I finished worked all states in about 5 weeks, running 5 watts.

The pinout on that interface (from an old computer mouse) is for the FT-817's data jack. If your rig doesn't have a data jack, it should work just fine going into the mike jack. In fact, if you use the mike jack and have the rig set on SSB, you probably have the advantage of using VOX. Since I don't have VOX available through the data jack, I just manually flip the switch.

It's amazingly simple.

As one reply pointed out, a lot of PSK-31 stations have the annoying habit of sending a long text file describing every last piece of equipment they own. The computer is often described as "homebrew", which gives me visions of them punching out tube sockets on a really big chasis.

But as with other modes, there are also quite a few interesting QSO's to be made. I'm still amazed at how well it works. For extremely weak signals, I think CW still has the advantage. But for QRM, PSK-31 is actually better, since there can be several QSO's going on within a couple hundred Hz.
  13. KC7YPJ

KC7YPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is not always the case, I've enjoyed several 30min + psk qso's with stateside
    stations and a couple of hour or longer dx qso spanning several differant modes.

the same as any other mode, the ragchews are there you just have to look for them...
  14. KF2M

KF2M Ham Member QRZ Page

My observation from only working HF/Digital for the past couple of months. If the op that you are engaged in a QSO with starts typing in realtime, they most likely want to ragchew. If they are running scripts they don't. A good number of operators I've had contacts with will start off with the usual scripts then switch over to typing.

Just my observation, and has worked for me for the most part. Your mileage may vary...
  15. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'm weird. I tend to have long QSO's on PSK.

If you can't read, stay with SSB.
  16. WR5AW

WR5AW Ham Member QRZ Page

Or Youtube.
  17. K7TUX

K7TUX Ham Member QRZ Page

wouldnt that be more like Slow Scan TV? :D
  18. KD8JDC

KD8JDC Ham Member QRZ Page

You raise a very... very interesting point here on the "zed" :)
  19. WR5AW

WR5AW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hahahaha. That's rich.
  20. KC9IUX

KC9IUX Ham Member QRZ Page

The K7AGE vid series is great.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.