PSK31 and Yaesu FT1000mp Mark V Field & Signal Link USB

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N3VA, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N3VA

N3VA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello...how do I setup the above radio for PSK31 ..?? When I select PKT on the radio, the LSB display button also lights, which is OK for RTTY, but from what I've read, I need to have the rig in USB/PKT..?? ...It seems that the PSK signals are not sideband dependent but it does affect the dial settings on the rig....I would like to be able to press the PKT button and have the PKT/USB indicators come on, not the PKT/LSB..... the manual Yaesu talks about an "Easy Set" mode, and to select the PSK3-U but it doesn't seem to work....also, the manual says to hold the PKT button in for a half second to enter the user mode, but that function enters the FM digital mode...thanks in advance...Chet

2. WT9S

WT9S Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no idea if this is true for the 1000s, but the FT-950 switches the sideband for PKT by holding the button in for a second.

3. N3VA

N3VA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Jay and tnx fer the suggestion...when I press the PKT button a second time, it switches to the FM mode...I think there must be a menu selection on the 1000MP that I've missed...I'll look again...tnx...Chet

4. K3ZDF

K3ZDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if this will help, but I use my FT-1000D with a homebrew PSK31 interface. I don't even use the PKT button; I just set the mode to USB.

I believe the PKT button is for RTTY only.

5. N3VA

N3VA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello and tnx ....I also have a 1000D and your concept would also work with the MP...BUT.... when you use the accessory DIN jack in the back of the rig, the audio input to the rig switches from the mic input (as in USB) to the jack when you select the PKT button...and so if you have the interface wired for the accessory jack, you lose the audio input at the mic...I have since found a solution on one of the links on the DX Zone by KN4LF and here is part of it.....

As far as setting the transceiver up for use of the Packet DIN jack on back and
    the PKT mode button on front:

#1.) Push fast button and hold then the ENT button.
    #2.) Select menu item 8-6.
    #3.) Using the sub VFO tuning knob go to Easy Set.
    #4.) Using the main VFO knob select PS31-u.
    #5.) Hit ENT button.
    #6.) Press PKT button once and the green LED on the LSB button lights up.
    #7.) Press the PKT button a second time and hold for 1 second, you hear a beep
    and Voila you are in USB mode
    even though the LSB LED remains lit.

You can check that you are indeed in USB by going to 20 meters and tuning in a
    phone signal.

This works, although I'd prefer a change in the firmware...thanks to all .....Chet

6. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't life easy, user-fiendly and intuitive with these computer driven sets? Once upon a time you had to do something really difficult, like turning a knob to the "USB" position.:p

7. GI4WXA

GI4WXA Silent Key QRZ Page

HI CHET. (read my help) hi what all the guys say is correct, BUT what program are you using?? I am having problems with the MixW2.19 software/ RIGEXPERT INT..TO WORK PKT your hace to set the programme to AFSK in place of FSK for packet. then set the rig as the reply to your questions....FRED

8. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

GSL said it sooo well ! ! ! ;) :)

Just like early wordprocessors F1 for "help", F3 to "print" Ctrl,Alt,Delete to reboot ( don't do that in the middle of your task! ) CTRL,ALT,ESC for whatever else ( bios, maybe ? ) etc. etc. etc.

Who ever came up with these things in the first place ? ? ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  9. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I also use the same equipment for PSK-31 and RTTY, and being fairly active from three different locations, I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest that PSK was a USB mode! In all digital modes, my main concern is to have an accurate MARK frequency displayed.

With Yaesu, this normally comes about in LSB, and the setup of the AFSK tone pairs. I usually choose 2025/2225, and inform my software that the "VFO Offset" is 2025 hz. Note that this in itself has no impact on PSK.

"What's the point of this" you may ask. Accurate DX Cluster (or other network) spotting is the answer. For instance, I'll set the rig on 14,071.00 and depending on which PSK stream (or RTTY, etc) I'm listening to, I'd spot the frequency based on the VFO and waterfall offset, such as "14071.0 FO8XX +173hz". In that way, anyone interested can also go there without having to search each data stream for the station of interest.

Happy PSK'ing!

K7GQ, KH6CW, etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.