ad: vanity

PSK newcomers guide to operating guidelines and etiquette.

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W1MRK, Jun 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Oil-fouled, in all probability.

2. KL5Z

KL5Z Ham Member QRZ Page

CHAIR: Lane Brown Leather, with four little wheels on the bottom
    BEER FRIDGE: Kenmore, Black Model Number 564.91179400
    AIR CONDITIONER: Frigidaire 6500 BTU Model FAA07457A 9.7 SEER

All installed in my 2009, 8 x 16 Homebrew ManCave/ Ham Shack, with 40Amp 240V Service.

BTU N5YPJ de KL5Z

3. W1MRK

W1MRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you everyone for your comments and assistance. This thread is very helpful. :)

73's and see you on the waterfall

Mike W1MRK

4. WR8D

WR8D Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the mode:

Please try to do all the above mentioned...Hi Hi

Please don't use an automatic cw id like some do while running psk. It kills band space.

Just my thoughts, --... ...--

John WR8D;)

5. KJ4WKL

KJ4WKL Ham Member QRZ Page

All,

after reading this entire thread, I am really excited about psk-31. Wow, I never knew (sorry, I've only been licensed for 9 days) that the computer interfaces with the tranceiver in such a cool manner (waterfall and superbrowser)

I second the statement, from the above poster, thanks everyone:)

K

KJ4WKL

6. K6OK

K6OK Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL... now that's funny. There's been a few times I've sat through "macro hell" where it was just endless lines of mundane trivia. The worst is when you reply to a macro with a hand written note to try to start a conversation and they reply with another macro.

7. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a comfortable mode with start with, especially if you are new to the world of HF. I was excited when I started using my HF privileges and worked my first few DXCC, followed by state after state. I left the mode for RTTY a few years ago, but just came back to it and have found it rather enjoyable. Not saying the fun ever left the mode, but it was refreshing to sit and ragchew with a few. I decided to try and finish off my WAS for PSK31. Enjoy!

8. N7SET

N7SET Ham Member QRZ Page

Or even better, you reply with a typed message asking about the weather or other question and they reply with something like "Have to go. Dinner is ready" or "You are fading pretty badly" followed by "Maybe some other time when the bands are better!" and then they sign.

Only to return 5 mins later to unleash some macros on someone else. Sometimes I'll call them again and they never respond.

But who knows. Maybe the QSB WAS really bad :D

PSK31 is a hoot, although I do like to move up the band a bit and play with some of the more esoteric modes like Olivia, MFSK16 or Hellschreiber. Its fun to see what each mode can do given a willing chat partner on the other side. Some will get though when you can barely see the other signal on your waterfall and others may net you a bunch of garbage. Field Hell is neat because it is a graphical mode, so you use your eyes to 'decode' the signal.

This reminds me of another point. If your software has RSID capability (HRD does) and you are using something other than RTTY or PSK31, turn it on while calling CQ. Many times it is hard to identify which digital mode is being used (or what derivitave of it, like QPSK31 vs BPSK31). RSID will tell the receiving software which mode is in use, so you just have to click and go. You don't need to leave it on during your entire QSO, though. Once you're in conversation, the other station knows what mode you are using.

9. N6LTU

N6LTU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Regarding OLIVIA, I tried last week to see if I could contact someone using it and either the band conditions were bad or just not many people are using it. Is there a Net that meets regularly on say 20 meters so I could try the mode?

N6LTU - Doug

10. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Doug,

Not that I know of. But that would be one slooooow net.:D

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.