PSK 31 on 40 metres

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by VK8VWA, Jul 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. VK8VWA

VK8VWA Ham Member QRZ Page

G'day

I am trying to locate the best frequency for working PSK31 on 40 metres. I have worked 14070 and 21070 successfully but not having any luck hearing signals on 40 metres. I have found info on the web which says that 7035.15 is the designated frequency for IARU Region 3 which is me (VK) and Region 1. However, I'm not hearing anything of interest there. I also found information which said 7080.15 was found for Region 2. Again, nothing there.

Anyway, if someone has some info on the best frequencies to use that would be great.

Cheers and 73
    Phil
    VK8VWA

2. KC5KBN

KC5KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

The bulk of my 40m PSK contacts have been around 7070.

Hope this helps,
    James

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, 7035-ish has become a bit of a trainwreck frequency, because some of the bandplans encourage hams in Region 2 to use that in lieu of 7070-ish, because they are trying to work around US hams that have voice privileges in the 7070 range outside of Region 2 due to the truncated 40m band in those regions. For a while, I used to see a lot of digimode US operations near 7035, but recently it all seems to be concentrated around 7070, to make it similar to other contest bands (70-ish kHz above the bottom band edge). This is probably because 7070 is less congested than 7035, even though you do occasionally hear a weak SSB QSO in that area.

If you want digimode QSOs with hams in the US, 7070 (and higher) is definitely the place to hang out.

4. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

For th Eu look on 7.040usb.

5. VK8VWA

VK8VWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you all for the info. I look forward to catching you on the bands.

Phil
    VK8VWA