ad: Amateur-1

Protect WSPR like beacons?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by MW1CFN, Apr 28, 2018.

?

Do you think WSPR should be afforded a more protected status in bandplans, like traditional beacons?

Poll closed May 26, 2018.
  1. Yes

27.8%
  2. No

50.0%
  3. Not sure

22.2%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Here you go. As well as the trolls being unable to answer how a WSPR beacon is different to a traditional beacon, I suppose they will also try to argue that it's entirely in keeping with the spirit and laws of amateur radio to willfully obliterate ongoing transmissions, too. Sadly, it's always RTTY. Always.

[​IMG]

Amateur radio? Very amateur indeed.

2. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

He may not have heard your tiny tone or recognized it as an intelligent signal.

Just a single-click and you can QSY from the offender.

I don't know the difference between a traditional beacon and WSPR, other than the mode/method & frequencies. And probably laws/regulations.
    I think (in the USA) "real" beacons can be unmanned, whilst WSPR still needs an operator present. Although I've seen many WSPR stations run 24/7 and doubt there's always someone present.

Just had to go there, eh?
    What's really "amateur" is your attitude. Much ado about nothing.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak for Welsh law, but at least in the US, band plans can't protect any signal against any other signal, because band plans have no regulatory authority. So people can change band plans to try to place beacons in locations that are less crowded, but there is no way to move other operators away from the band segments frequented by WSPR. At least not in the US.

Also note that WSPR because cannot be automatically controlled on 6m in the US. That is a rule.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Bad assumption (on your part).

Some of us do know the "difference. Starting with "there is no such thing as a WSPR BEACON".

Thats a contradiction in terms. WSPR software transmits and LISTENS to signals, beacons don't listen.

W4RAV and KL7KN like this.
  5. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the difference being (in my case) is that using an Ultimate3S with no receive capability is actually really a 'beacon'. I check the spots on WSPRnet to determine propagation on 20 meters. :rolleyes: