Pro's & Con's of a Chromebook.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WB0MPB, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking at getting a Chromebook just to have something a little smaller mainly to use on the internet. I now have a desktop and a 15" laptop and want another computer that works better on my lap. I also have a tablet and a Kindle but I don't like to have to use their keyboards for posting on QRZ. (Plus I want a new toy!!:))
    I have been reading about them but wanted to turn to my friends on QRZ for the good and bad of owning and using a Chromebook.

One specific question I have is I have my financial info on my others and open it with LibreOffice. Will I be able to get an app to be able to open the spread sheet on the Chromebook?

So thanks for any input any of you can give me on the Chromebook.

John, WB0MPB

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure! Just download the Google suite of apps: sheets, slides, words, etc. - for pretty decent compatibility with MS products, for the most part. Any NEW Chromebook will have all of that, and much more, pre-installed ready to log in on first power-up

Just note: a Chromebook is primarily for web/cloud stuff, along with apps from the Google Play store. It's NOT going to support actual .EXE programs designed for i3, i5, i7 etc. processors. Just "apps" and the like, and web stuff.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1TRY likes this.
  3. WB0MPB

Thanks Dave for your input. I thought I understood what you said to be the case but I am glad to hear you confirm it.

John, WB0MPB

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave is a good guy.

He told me so.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE and WB0MPB like this.
  5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Good: Cheap portable computing with good software. Self-repairing if something bad happens, entire OS is checksummed and if it fails checks, reinstalls.

Bad: Google looking over your shoulder for everything, limited use without internet access. Difficult to root if that is your thing.

In a previous job, we were issued these for remote access. Mostly because it was to test them with our products, but they were okay.

WB0MPB likes this.
  6. WB0MPB

I went ahead and ordered a Chromebook that was @W7UUU approved. So I am looking forward to getting it. I must have made my tablet mad though. As soon as I ordered the Chromebook the battery in the tablet went bad. :):)
    But it is the original battery that is about 7 years old so I guess it did good. Especially when that battery is rated at 500 charge/discharge cycles.

John, WB0MPB

W7UUU likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

haha - well I hope it's what you need. The one you sent the link for certainly had good specs for a $99 computer!!

I think it will work out very well indeed - but keep us posted :)

Merry Christmas John

Dave
    W7UUU

K9ASE and WB0MPB like this.
  8. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had one for about six years, and I'm just now giving up on it (SLLOOOOW). I loved having a cheap laptop, and we always found a use for it. The kids now each have one, and they rarely use anything else.

9. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Family has Chromebooks. They're great for surfing and general stuff like writing. But my desktop is Win10 and my other laptop is Linux Mint. The Chromebooks serve a purpose. Cheap, simple and fast to boot. And the battery life is general good.

10. WB0MPB

I have now had my Chromebook for 2 or 3 weeks and I am really glad I spent a little bit of the money I got from selling my Amateur radios to get it. For what I wanted it for it fits the need/want perfectly. If I need more I still have my desktop and my old laptop. I am so glad though that Dave @W7UUU told me to get a touch screen. So I recommend that anyone getting one should get a touch screen. So I am glad that I did get one.
    Now I am watching the mail for the next thing I ordered. I have one of those nice walkers coming and I hope it helps me get out a little better.
    51PPKzwpgeL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY500_SX500_.jpg
    It was a great deal on Amazon.
    This should be my last purchase.

So if your interested in Chromebook I say get one. Also mine was a refurb unit and to look at it, it looks brand new. It came from an eBay seller. Sorry to you eBay haters. Your hate makes you miss some great stuff!! But I love not having the competition from all the haters.

John, WB0MPB
    I have to drive myself to my psychologist today. This will be interesting and I am scared to death to do it. Please pray for me that I make it there and back without crashing!! (or falling since I don't have my new walker yet)
    Thanks for listening to me because my life really scares me. I should not be living alone but no one will help me get myself somewhere safe to live.