ad: M2Ant-1

Proposed Changes to QRZ Swapmeet Rules

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Swapping is a given.

After all the forum is Swapmeet. :p

WZ7U likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, Paypal skewed all of that in recent years. Guy buys radio, steals all the tubes, complains to Paypal the tubes were not included, gets full instant refund, seller pays return freight for tube-stripped chassis. "Buyer" puts tubes on eBay and makes a killing :)

It's just the world we live in. Sellers certainly have the right to state "no returns" but Paypal can and has sided with crooked buyers. I know this because it happened to me.

Sigh....

I agree 100% that in a swapmeet, all sales should be final and it's up to the buyer to decide if he wants to take the chance to buy. 95% of sellers IMO are honest folks, who describe exactly what is for sale and follow through on that.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB likes this.
  3. N5XJT

N5XJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Upcharge for PayPal is ridiculous! If you accept PayPal include the fee in your base price.

N3AB and KS4W like this.
  4. KA9JLM

A extra charge for you using Paypal is allowed. I buy from many sellers that charge the fee to use it.

I do not mind, You are guaranteed to get what you order. And I do not have to give out my credit card number.

The PayPal fee is less than the shipping and sales tax that you would normally pay.

5. W0KDT

W0KDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure why you need to hurl gratuitous insults at those of us who pay attention to 3%. Have you ever tried asking a bank to give you 3% of a deposit you're making, just because it's a small amount? How did that go?

N3AB likes this.
  6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Try leaving a 3% tip at a restaurant. :eek:

7. KA9JLM

I never have. I get a better return without asking. :)

Using a credit card to pay helps also. Just keep the balance at zero at the end of the month.

If a person can not afford it, They should not be buying.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  8. N3MDG

N3MDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because you have verified the seller doesn't mean that I have. The photo and call sign requirements were fine with me when I listed something. And I'll tell sellers that I won't even bother to contact or make an offer if they can't be bothered to that simple step. BTW, via another forum I just sold an $1500 telescope. We met in person but still used PP goods for payment for both safety and convenience.

9. W0AQ

W0AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

@AA7BQ I've been reading all of the discussions about changes and have been reluctant to wade in. I'm in the 20th year of running a hobby forum for another hobby. We're not as big as QRZ but we have over 30,000 members.

We also have a forum for buying and selling. We've had problems in the past that are comparable to some of the problems here as far as transactions going bad or people being scammed.

One small rule that has helped us is that we do not allow people to post e-mail addresses. When people post an item for sale, other members must initially contact them through the conversation feature of the forum. This means that only logged in members can contact them. The buyers and sellers can make some natural judgements as a result. For example, how long has this person been a member and how many posts have they made?

It's admittedly far from foolproof but we have reduced the problems to a very manageable level.

KS4W, N3MDG and WA7PRC like this.
  10. WA7ARZ

WA7ARZ Ham Member QRZ Page

C'mon Fred,
    Upcharging is against the PayPal Terms of Service and is just as bad as using Friends and Family. I can't believe you are condoning its use. Please do not allow that to be changed. My respect for this forum will start waning otherwise.

K1OIK and K1HR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.