Proposed Changes to QRZ Swapmeet Rules

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's our view that the need for the callsign-in-photo has been supplanted by the Verified User program. At some point, it has to be up to the BUYER to make the judgment call. If I were a serious interested buyer and I had any reservations whatsoever about the item or the seller, I would write to them and demand to see more photographs. I might even ask for something specific that would require him to take a new picture. Everybody should use this option. Most deals give the buyer more than ample time to gather information about the seller. Don't expect QRZ to be responsible for this, it's your money after all...

We will continue to strongly recommend the callsign-in-photo because it protects OTHER people. It should be your civic duty to put the callsign in the photo so that it won't be lifted and recycled by scammers.

After having reviewed thousands of these photos, I'm now convinced that the ones that have large callsign plaques and cut-out call signs are the most difficult to re-purpose for a scam. Just a thought...

73 -fred

N1VAU, N0TZU, N1NA and 1 other person like this.
  2. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

It is so easy, I simply took a picture of my license - so every knows I am old, an organ donor and a veteran (Florida allows these options). I am not ashamed, my organs are probably useless anyway due to RF and my occasional nips. Regardless, I am verified and everyone knows where to hunt me down if I screw them on QRZ. (A lot of this is said with tounge in cheek) I feel so much better dealing with a verified user. If you have problems with PayPayPal and need a certified check or money order, I will not buy from you since you are questioning my integrity making me question yours.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't do Pay Pal. Somehow, that makes me the bad guy. o_O
    Sorry for your loss of business. :rolleyes:

N6ATF likes this.
  4. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

I am crushed, but I will get over it (sniffle), however if you want to send me a cashier's check, postal money order or cash all wrapped up in an envelope, I am okay with it if you want to do that to a complete stranger. I WOULD absolutely honor it and complete the transaction. That said, everyone is not like you and I (I suspect) .Seriously. QRZ is really trying to prevent fraud etc. and I think it is a good thing. If I have offended you, I apologize but fail to understand your obstinacy to a proven method of secure transactions. Stepping down from my pedestal.
    73, Chuck

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    N3AB and WZ7U like this.
  5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what makes it so perplexing. Clearly even you believe callsign-in-photo is necessary, yet here we are talking about making it optional where it is currently a requirement. Perhaps it should be a civic duty, but unfortunately it isn't.

It's also strange that you say people shouldn't expect QRZ to be responsible for gathering information about the seller, while at the same time implementing required verification, indicating that you have at least gone somewhat out of your way to provide a guarantee that you have viewed a government-issued ID of the seller and agree that they are who they say they are. If this is not your responsibility, why are you doing it?

This whole thing just seems a little incongruent, that's all. At the end of the day I care about thiiiiiis much (picture me holding my fingers REEEEEALLY close together) about it, but when something doesn't add up, something doesn't add up.

KS4W likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

No offense taken, I get the point about Pay Pal. ;)
    I guess I'm just not ready to step up to the 21st century yet. Seems PP is weighted a little heavy to the buyer, but what do I know? If pressed, I have a friend who can PP for me in a pinch; thing is there's not much I need from a website ad that I can't wait for. Hence, I suppose my trust level is too high for these sorts of venues.

You're going to be ok, right? I'm not paying for any therapy. :p

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

How long before Tax needs to be paid for sales ?

Maybe QRZ should charge a Fee for the service of selling. :)

A person should not buy a item from a seller that thinks you may be a parts swapper. :rolleyes:

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KA9JLM, post: 5092091, member: 445009"]A person should not buy a item from a seller that thinks you may be a parts swapper. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    That's already taken care of. No returns due to parts swappers. :rolleyes:
    Is it just me, or does everyone else think they are dealing with retailers on this swap board? It's a swap board fer [redacteds} sake! I do NOT expect to be able to return anything. Why should you?

W4IOA likes this.
  9. N9TO

N9TO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep the callsign-in-picture requirement.

KE4HTS likes this.
  10. K3BR

K3BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeezis Chri** and General Jackson, as Harry Truman used to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.