Proposed Changes to QRZ Swapmeet Rules

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, Jun 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait, since when is it required to have a valid email in my profile. There's a reason it's NOT there. That needs to be rethought as well.

2. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

Where are you seeing the part about having a valid email in your profile? I think it's a good idea, but I don't see any mention of it.

3. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. PayPal fee is just 2.9% + 30 cents. Reasonable and in line with most all other payment processors. Are there really people who would quibble over this?

N3MDG and KS4W like this.
  4. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that Visa does not allow up charges by their vendors, yet the State Governments charge up fees for using Visa here on their payments for Taxes, BMV fees, you name it. So do several national gasoline chain stations and get away with it [ 2.29.9 cash, 2.38.9 credit] you see on station signs and they are violating the Visa agreements doing that. I have had several merchant Visa/MC accounts in my life...

As for Government getting waivers on it, its nice to be king they say... ;)

5. KS4W

KS4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Allowing blatant violations of the PayPal TOS is VERY bad in my opinion.

Not requiring a call sign in the picture does not add anything to the process.

There is no way in the world, I would purchase something where the photo is a sealed box!

This is not the time to back off Fred!

N3MDG, AD0JA, KN4TQB and 2 others like this.
  6. KC3APU

KC3APU Ham Member QRZ Page

As soon as I saw the "Verified Seller Program" start I was one of the first to send in my required info. I agree with those that would like to see a pic of a call in the items the person is selling. I also agree on an open box to see what we are getting.
    I don't agree on allowing upcharging for using PayPal, PayPal frowns apon it and we should too, if you can't eat the >3% they charge, then add it into the price, heck you make out using their postage discount in the long run.

N3MDG, KN4TQB and K1OIK like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

The post has been scrubbed apparently, or the poster did an edit.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Mods can see "scrubbed posts" or edited posts - even if by other moderators - but nope. Not there. No such mention whatsoever of that.

There has never been that requirement

Dave
    W7UUU

N3MDG and N1VAU like this.
  9. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PayPal's TOS refers to vendors such as QRZ who have business accounts. It's not clear that the rule necessarily applies to individual private sellers, or whether it is enforceable in practical terms. A seller can request an up-charge in private negotiations with their buyer, and PayPal can not and should not have anything to say about it. It's none of their business.

In broad terms, QRZ is protected by Section 230 the Communications Decency Act of 1996 which specifically grants immunity to online internet services from liability arising from content uploaded by their users. QRZ isn't obligated to enforce PayPal's rules as they apply to our users, and we have the right to make that decision selectively. In other words, while we choose to enforce a ban on Friends and Family payments, it doesn't mean that we have to enforce their no-upcharge rule. Our company PayPal account is not at stake here, regardless of what our users may put on our site. QRZ doesn't up-charge so that means that we're in compliance, despite what our users are doing.

73, -fred

N0TZU likes this.
  10. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

My only feedback is that, for reasons you were kind enough to list in the proposal, the callsign-in-photo requirement should remain.

KC1KWX, N3MDG and KN4TQB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.