Proposed 2019 - 2023 General Pool Questions posted yestersay

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AB3TQ, Jan 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

If you would like to take a look at the new proposed General exam questions, they were posted to the NCVEC site yesterday.

If you want to submit any feedback, don't wait more than a week. They like to publish the Final Version fairly quickly (and this Pool published quite late). They were committed to a more thorough proofreading process, which was not totally successful. I still found a fair number of overlooked problems. " E " for effort if not for excellence.

There will be 8 fewer questions (454) than are in the current General Pool (462).

http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=364

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are a couple of questions that I think are kind of vague or misleading:

G1E11 (B) [97.221]
    What is the Part 97 limit on the maximum bandwidth occupied by an automatically controlled digital station?
    A. 100 Hz
    B. 500 Hz
    C. 1 kHz
    D. 2 kHz

OK, this tells you to reference 97.221. The only part that talks about a restricted bandwidth is if it is operating on a frequency not specifically allocated for automatically controlled digital stations. IOW, there is no specific maximum bandwidth actually specified for a station of this sort. So, the question needs to be modified to reflect that. Something like, "What is the Part 97 limit on the maximum bandwidth occupied by an automatically controlled digital station operating on 14.090 MHz ?

In this way, the person has to know where the automatically controlled digital station window is, and understand that this frequency is outside that window, but within an RTTY band. That makes the 500Hz restriction kick in.

G1D11 (D)[97.505]
    If a person has an expired FCC issued Amateur Radio license of General class
    or higher, what is required before they can receive a new license?
    A. They must have a letter from the FCC showing they once held an amateur or
    commercial license
    B. There are no requirements other than being able to show a copy of the expired license
    C. The applicant must be able to produce a copy of a page from a call book published in the
    U.S . showing his or her name and address
    D. The applicant must pass the current Element 2 exam

A person can have an expired general or higher license and not have to take any test, if he reinstates it within 2 years (the grace period- see 97.21). The question needs to be modified to reflect that caveat. "If a person has an expired FCC issued Amateur Radio license of General class or higher, and that license has been expired for more than two years, what is required before they can receive a new license?"

Without that change, answer B could also be correct.

3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I mostly only look for typo's, bad grammar, missing bits of information. More than enough to keep me quite busy, though I am going to "complain" about some badly worded questions. They are in there.

Please send your input to the NCVEC for whatever you see. They are far from perfect, and can use all the help they can get.