ad: IACantenna-1

Proper Pronunciation

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by K6CPO, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of hams are now buying radios made in China, and for the most part they are pretty good radios. However, most hams have no idea how to pronounce the brand names of the radios. I bought a commercial Wouxun a couple of years ago and I love it. When my wife's brother married a Chinese girl, I asked her what the proper pronunciation of the name was. It's not "wax-on," "woo-shun," "woo-shin," or even "whoa-shun" but "whoa-shin," at least according to my sister-in-law.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The W is silent.

http://www.wouxun.us/content.php?content_id=1005

3. KD2AKG

KD2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a TYT That way I wouldn't have to worry about pronunciation.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Oshing?" Golly.

I like "wax-on" better, because I can follow that with "wax-off" and "paint the house."

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Going along with the thread, Matsu####a is pronounced Matt-Shoe-Sta in Japan, and Husqvarna is pronounced
    Who-Sqwarn-Uh in Sweden. (Why doesn't the name come out here?) Mat-su-shi-ta.

I'm still trying to find out how Lamb is pronounced.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

heck,...... some of us don't even pronounce dia-pole or balum correctly:rolleyes:

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

:) Good move

8. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Wooloomooloo
    Wangaratta
    Manjinup
    Patonga

9. VK5TM

VK5TM Ham Member QRZ Page

You missed an "l" in the first one. But then, it is an "l" of a place :)

Terry VK5TM

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

What part of China is she from? She may have a southern accent.

11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Rig here is a walks on...

A whoa shin is usually what I exclaim just before I accidently run my leg into the bed post...

12. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

How long did it take you to come up with that one?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

13. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't take very long, especially when the lights are turned out, and I can't see where I am going.

14. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

They could have chosen a better spelling. Wouxun wouldn't come out as "whoashin" in any of the European languages that I can think of. In Most European languages X is pronounced somewhat like k, ks, h, and z or s.

If they want to call it "Whoashin" in China, that's fine. They should find another name for use in countries that speak Indo-European languages. In the meantime I'm going to continue calling them Whoax-un radios, as it is phonetically spelt.

15. KC9UDX

There are more people accustomed to pinyin than not. You and "Most Europeans" are in the minority.

"X" in pinyin is always pronounced like "sch" in German.

16. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Apparently 11 posts!
    Have fun
    Gary

17. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've heard some interesting attempts at 'Baofeng' too. Yes, 'TYT' looks like a good choice. It seems like every time I end up in a conversion about Wouxun, we first have to agree on how to pronounce it, and I usually pronounce the W even though I think that's wrong, just so people will have a clue what I'm talking about.

18. KC9UDX

I must be missing something here. To me, "tight" does not seem the obvious pronunciation. And if it's not that then...

19. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

You totally missed my point. It doesn't matter how many people in Asia pronounce it that way. If you are going to market a product somewhere make some attempt to spell it phonetically in such a manner that people can read and pronounce it.

20. KC9UDX

You totally missed my point. Do you think they renamed Buick in China just because everyone there pronounces it Buck?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.