Propagation Distance ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Jul 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Lived in the Jersey Pinelands during those years and recall working you many times VHF/UHF including contests.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree it's incorrect, or at least after 50 years on six meters I've never experienced this, ever.

Sporadic-E on six meters seems to always have a "skip zone" of at least 400-500 miles; usually, it's farther and seems to be more commonly 600-800 miles.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's cool. I can't remember everybody but back then I had a "big" VHF-UHF station and won a lot of contests. At Mt. Olive (hilltop home site) I had three towers, only one had an HF beam and everything else was stacked VHF-UHF antennas.

Fun days.

K3XR likes this.
  4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Back in the late 1950s and early 1960s, Tropospheric ducting, on 6-meters, was fairly common and, quite often, the duct was just not that wide.

One could be driving down the highway, with nothing being heard on 6-meters, and then, suddenly, hit a small stretch of road where there were all sorts of signals. Then, nothing. The duct could be a couple of miles wide or, sometimes, a few hundred yards wide.

I have told this before: An excellent example of such ducting happened in 1960. K9RMJ, in LaPorte, Indiana (northwestern Indiana about 50-miles east of Chicago), had one of the early Heath HW-29 (non "A") "Sixers" and was actually working with the design team at Heath (the plant was about 35 miles north of LaPorte in St. Joseph, Michigan) trying out various modifications that would then be incorporated in the HW-29A model.

Bill was working, in his basement, and plugged a 55-inch long piece of wire into the antenna jack on his HW-29. He then gave a test count. A K7, near Portland, Oregon, answered him giving a 58 report (this was on 50.400 MHz). K9TZS lived about 3-miles from K9RMJ. Bob had a Gonset G-50 into a 5-element Yagi at 60-feet above ground. K9TZS could copy the K7 but, when he tried to break into the QSO, the K7 could not copy him! Of course, K9RMJ, being local, had no problem copying K9TZS.

Because of the duct, an about 1-watt output signal, into a quarter-wave wire, lying on a bench, below ground level, was perfect copy in Oregon and yet a 30-watt output signal, into a 5-element Yagi, 60-feet above ground, could not be copied.

Glen, K9STH

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree; NVIS on 6 Meters is NOT a reality. When I was in the Chicago area (long ago, in ages long forgotten) with about 8 Watts out (15 W input on AM, and a 3 el beam @ 15', ) I worked most up and down the East Coast on Es (skip,) but never West of the Rockies. But PA to Chicago was pretty good, and within the Es zone, although it would at times be even more than 1000 miles. Perhaps, it was multi-hop when I was working into New England, including Maine.
    My BEST DX with that equipment (described above) was a contact with a station in Cuba. (CO2CI, now SK.) I have his QSL card as proof. I suspect THAT was at least "double hop" Es propagation. And that, was DX by any definition, at least on 6 Meters.