Propagation confusion for me.

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by AC2MM, Mar 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm working the Digital modes quite a bit now, PSK-31, FT-8, JT-9, JT-65. As a side note, Joe Taylor is a true wizard to be able to construct that WSJT-X program and allow us to communicate world wide, I'm really amazed. Wow... It becomes addicting, as well as fun.

Anyhow, propagation. There is an abundance of "propagation" websites out there, and I need to get "unconfused" as to the correct one for my purpose.
    I'm just trying to see how far I can expect to be received somewhere else in the world to give my low power a chance to be heard.
    I signed up for a year at KT6U, which gives really cool predictions in a colored pdf format, or onscreen if you like. But I don't think it's what I need. I think it's designed more for predicting days ahead for contests and stuff.

When I have time to relax, sit down and work my radio, I would like something to tell me what band or frequency is open right now, so I can set my rig to work the digital portion of that band/freq.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Robert

2. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

I use this software and I highly recommend it. It is simple to use, but very informative. Just make sure you have your correct antennas and the correct sun spot number entered in and it should give you an accurate picture of where you can expect to be heard. http://www.dxatlas.com/hamcap/
    upload_2018-3-29_22-51-54.png

upload_2018-3-29_22-49-5.png

73 de KM4SII

3. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also use that software, and it is really nice...

4. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I look at pskreporter.info maps for the recent reported activity. I can always see for example if 30m is hot and 20m is not, or whatever.

That said, often I take a chance on an unlikely band, digimodes get through when I don't expect anything. And that's part of the magic.

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Do not forget to just turn on you station and try , many times any weather speculator does not match what I find on air .
    Some times only barely enough time to complete the QSO , let alone stuff I would have without just turning on & spinning the dial , pushing buttons .
    Most of the time , I just get behind the VFO when I have time , some times same time of day , and many not .
    Found people & groups by just random trying .
    Then worry about those I have met , and have not heard from for a long time - the regulars , as example John K1GUN on 17m mid-day .
    Speaking of which , have not seen Sue here or on EEVblog for a long time , hope shes doing ok ?

7. AC2MM

I'm late to reply, I apologize. I clicked on "email notification", but something didn't work.
    It seems you all agree, so thank you for that information, it will go right on my Toolbar.
    It seems the same as KT6U's site only there's is a prediction of upcoming patterns, and HamCap is real time. Good, exactly what I was looking for.
    Here's one my Elmer suggested: http://bandconditions.com/
    This works well also.
    I'm downloading the VOCAP file as we speak, so thank you guys for your replies.
    I BookMarked the PskReporter also, and I have seen this, but forgot about it. I like the way you can install all the variables to see what's working and what's not atmospheric-wise.
    I don't see why it's results couldn't be used for the other digital modes as well.

Robert

8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Get some power, then if you can hear them , you can probably work them. It goes both ways.

9. AC2MM

I got it.
    I disabled the QSL Relay, and it worked fine.
    Thanks for the help.