ad: ARR

Progress on the NORTH WING of the Crest Radio Museum

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA6MHZ, Dec 18, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Booooooooooooo.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Todays DIG on the upstairs unearthed possibly the RAREST ITEM In existance!!
    an ABSOLUTELY Brand new in the box HULL 5150. Never exposed to the air since it was built back in maybe 1994 just before HULL bit the dust! This is PRICELESS!!! Also found was a 1000BBA Antenna system too big to put up any old place, as each leg is 200ft long!! I was so bummed when my test model was destroyed by my wife a few years back, but this one is ALSO Brand new in the box! There was also a 402CU tuning unit or 2. Evidently when Hull Folded I somehow nabbed these and never realized I had them until today. They were buried in the debris and unnoticed in the move to Crest in 1999
    What is a HULL 5150???? Never heard of it??? Neither has most of the Ham world. I have 6 of them in the South Wing of the Crest Radio Museum, all in some sort of disrepair. I foolishly gave away the ONLY known working one to a good friend. No Schematic is known to exist for these units! All the data was lost in the closing of the plant. (I was an employee at the time, which is why I nabbed all the remaining units.)
    I wanted to preserve them for Future Ham history.
    The 5150 was basically a Marine Transciever, but also well designed for the Ham bands. It has continuous coverage from the BCB to 30MHZ, USB/LSB and AM. You can program in marine channels if you like or just tune around with the large tuning knob. It has 2 VFOs for Split operation, but other wise it is pretty SPARTAN. Digital readout, and about the size of a SWAN 350.
    It runs on 12V only and has a 100W PA. Not a particularly good radio, but they worked. I took one to Ecuador with me on the Expedition looking for the LOST INCA GOLD. (we didn't find it, so thats why U never saw it on TV!) Think it was DISCOVERY CHANNEL financed.
    I made a few contacts from Ecuador, not exactly rare DX, but it was OK.
    We used the 1000BBA big antenna on top of the LLANGATI MOUNTAINS at 14000 ft! just East of QUITO!
    When we discovered the 5150, I quickly taped it back up to preserve it's Integrity. This is FAR rarer than any UNBUILT HEATHKIT!!! My unnamed HELPER has first dibs on it in my Estate sale! She knows where it is in LITTERBOX ROOM! This is probably worth HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of DOLLARS!!!

OH, by the way, I wish I could post a pic of the 21 COMPUTERS dug out from Upstairs, but it has her pic in it, and I'd get banned for that. Its on Facebook though.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pics or it didn't happen :)

4. WA6MHZ

I will take a pic of the box but I don't want to open it and dare damage it's integrity. As I said it has 1994 Air in the wrapped up radio (not vaccum packed though). I will also take another pic of the giant stack of computers (we found 3 more to add to it) that will make it 24!
    to see the current stack go to facebook and look up PATRICK C. BUNSOLD ( U can always friend me too)

5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YAWN...:rolleyes:

6. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Speaking of digging up treasures, it is great to see this thread revived.

7. W9AMM

W9AMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2015-10-21_7-41-46.png

NL7W, AC8UN and K2XT like this.
  8. WA6MHZ

OK here is the pic of the box.
    IMG_1826a.jpg
    the 5150 is in the middle box. the antenna is in the bottom box, well squished. Thats OK, it is made to handle pressure

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

W9AMM and (deleted member) like this.
  10. WW7F

WW7F Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't count unless you call those Guinness Book of Records guys in to verify it ,LOL:)! JK, Michelle 73:)