Programming the Wouxun KG-UV950P

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W4HAB, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W4HAB

W4HAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Today, I received and unboxed the new Wouxun KG-UV950P Quad-band mobile transceiver. I know you're all wondering what my first impressions were, so I'll share that I am impressed with the fit and finish. Everything looks and feels good. The transceiver operates smoothly, and the mic feels solid and fits well in my hand. I've only tested it on VHF and UHF thus far, and everyone said I sound great. If you're looking for a full review, go look here or there.

Along with the KG-UV950P, I ordered the Wouxun programming cable and accompanying software. I popped the CD into my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium and found that no software automatically ran. So I navigated to the CD directory and found 2 folders and 1 text file:

• Driver (folder)
    • Programming Software (folder)
    • Installation Instructions.txt

First, I opened up the "Driver" folder and I was pleased to discover that Wouxun developed both a 32-bit and a 64-bit driver for the programming cable. There's a bunch of stuff in that folder, but the main two files to pay attention to are:

• CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe (For computers with dual, quad, etc core processors.) <--- The one I installed.
    • CP210xVCPInstaller_x32.exe (For computers with a single-core processor.)

After installing the driver, I navigated back to the main directory of the CD and opened the "Programming Software" folder. Wouxun included the software for both the KG-UV920P and the KG-UV950P. You'll find two folders:

• KG-UV920P Commander
    • KG-UV950P Commander <--- Choose that one.

Once inside the "KG-UV950P Commander" folder, you'll find the "KG-UV950P 5k English for user setup.exe" file. This is the "KG-UV950P Commander" software you need to install. Once installed, I suggest restarting. After restarting, you'll probably find a shortcut to the "KG-UV950P Commander" in your Start menu or on your desktop. Open the software.

Once open, you'll see this:

KG-UV950P Commander Software Screenshot.jpg

Next, plug your programming cable into a USB port. The other end of the cable, the RJ-45 (ethernet cable end), fits into a port on the left side of the KG-UV950P transceiver.

KG-UV950P Programming Cable Port on Left-Side.jpg

The next step is to get your computer and the KG-UV950P talking to each other. For me, this was easier said than done. The help file says, "Click the menu “Communication Port”, and then it will pop a dialogue box “Communication Port”. The dialogue box displays the detected port by the transceiver. You do not need to select the port manually." In my experience, however, this was not the case. I had to set the port manually.

To set the port manually, navigate to the Windows Control Panel and open the Device Manager. Once open should look something like this:

Device Manager.jpg

Expand the "Ports (COM & LPT)" section, and find the "Silicon Labs" cable as I've demonstrated. Right-click on the cable and from the menu choose "Properties." Now you should see a window pop up. This window (shown below) might look somewhat different depending on what version of Windows you are running. Reminder: I'm running Windows 7 Home Ultimate. Choose the "Port Settings" tab, then choose "Advanced" as indicated. The pop up window:

Cable Properties.jpg

Once you've clicked on the "Advanced" button, you will see a new pop up window (shown below). Click on the drop-down menu as indicated and choose a port. I chose COM1, and it worked. (Note: in the past, I had to go through a similar process to program my Yaesu VX-7R. In that case, I chose COM2, which was already "in use." I overrode the warning, and it worked. Having said that, I take no responsibility for your actions.) Remember to choose "OK" to save your changes. Now, you can close the device manager window to get it out of your way.

Cable Properties Advanced COM Port.jpg

Now navigate back over to the "KG-UV950P Commander" software, and click on the "Port" button in the main menu. Instead of totally grayed out (which I didn't show you before), it should now look something like this:

KG-UV950P Commander Software COM Screenshot.jpg

Now, hit ok to close the COM window.

Next, I suggest reading data from the KG-UV950P to test the communications channel you've just set up. To do this, choose the "Read" button from the main menu of the "KG-UV950P Commander" software. If successful, the software will present a popup saying "Read OK!" That means your computer can talk to the KG-UV950P. Now you're in business.

The next thing I tried was to insert some local repeater information into the software's grid to program to the KG-UV950P. I noticed right away when I was trying to clear data that I had erroneously typed that the software seemed to have some bugs. These bugs would present themselves as random frequencies auto-populating when I deleted something I had just typed. I'm not sure where this data came from, but I finally figured out how to solve the issue:

1. Carefully add a few frequencies to the list.
    2. Next, move two of your frequencies to the #1 and #2 rows.
    3. Then, delete the two rows that the radio had in it's memory.
    4. No more bugs!

KG-UV950P Commander Software Screenshot Final.jpg

Now, choose the "Write" button from the "KG-UV950P Commander" software's main menu. Again, the software will tell you when you are successful. Your KG-UV950P transceiver will restart itself automatically. Don't forget to save your work!!

It's important to note that the "KG-UV950P Commander" software's help file is actually VERY helpful in describing what data goes where, and what function does what. If you need help, post your question! That's one of the reasons I'm starting this thread.

The KG-UV950P's manual is actually quite helpful in describing how to navigate to the KG-UV950P's memory mode where you'll find the new list of frequencies you just wrote to the transceiver. It's helpful, but it's not perfect. There is missing data. Also, the manual sometimes references a page number, but the page it's referencing doesn't quite match up. Try looking a few pages later.

KG-UV950P.jpg

Best of luck!

Justin Hamel
    KK4VFQ

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. W4HAB

For anyone who is curious what editable fields and options exist in the main body of the "KG-UV950P Commander" software, here are screenshots of the tabbed menus:

KG-UV950P Commander Software Main Memory Group Tab.jpg KG-UV950P Commander Software Configuration Settings Tab.jpg KG-UV950P Commander Software VFO Settings Tab.jpg
    KG-UV950P Commander Software FM Broadcast Memories Tab.jpg KG-UV950P Commander Software Remote Settings Tab.jpg KG-UV950P Commander Software Scan Group Tab.jpg

3. W4HAB

4. W4HAB

Though it's not very informative, here is a Youtube video that someone made of the "KG-UV950P Commander" software:

[video=youtube_share;PteH_7v0-UE]http://youtu.be/PteH_7v0-UE[/video]

5. W4HAB

Program a frequency/repeater to the KG-UB950P manually, without using the "KG-UV950P Commander" software.

[video=youtube_share;r2UBYbKhI10]http://youtu.be/r2UBYbKhI10[/video]

6. OZ9FB

OZ9FB Ham Member QRZ Page

HI there, thanks for your info.

I have this problem, that my softare say ok to write the channels but only the first 2 is stored on the radio. the third channel and so on is not stored in the radio. what can be wrong.?
    Thanks.
    OZ9FB test screen kg 950.jpg

7. OZ9FB

I can read from the software the freq. I have stored, but can't find them in the memory on the radio.

read ok.jpg

Thanks

OZ9FB

8. KC9WXN

KC9WXN Ham Member QRZ Page

Have same problem here. Very very frustrating. I packed it up to send back. even the 15% restocking fee wont deter me from returning. dealer says wouxun is aware of the problem, but I don't feel to good about the Chinese handling anything. Who knows how long it will take them.

9. W4HAB

Hi there,

It seems that I had a similar problem. Here's some info from my post above. Please let us all know if this works for you.

"The next thing I tried was to insert some local repeater information into the software's grid to program to the KG-UV950P. I noticed right away when I was trying to clear data that I had erroneously typed that the software seemed to have some bugs. These bugs would present themselves as random frequencies auto-populating when I deleted something I had just typed. I'm not sure where this data came from, but I finally figured out how to solve the issue:

Carefully add a few frequencies to the list.
    Next, move two of your frequencies to the #1 and #2 rows.
    Then, delete the two rows that the radio had in it's memory.
    No more bugs!"

KK4VFQ

10. OZ9FB

Hi all,

This worked it out for me after long time..... I'm using the 5k software.

Go to this site and downloade the cable driver.

http://www.mowisensors.com/usb-driver-install.php

Then connect the radio to the PC, be sure you are using the port between 1-4

Write your freq.

Then follow my image for saving the writing to the radio.

This Work for me with both my old PC vista, and win. 7 64 bit.

Good luck. ;-)

OZ9FB
    20-02-2014 02-15-58.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.