Programming the FTM-400XDR

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KI7VFW, Mar 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. M6XXO

M6XXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Bit of an update.
    There are 2 versions of the ADMS 7 , there is 1.0.0.2 (which just gives a format error when trying to connect)
    and the 1.1.0.0 which sends data to the PC, but an JIT Unexpected Handler Exception pops up.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.FormatException: One of the identified items was in an invalid format.
    at Ftm400dAdms7.DataConverter.decodeBackup()
    at Ftm400dAdms7.DataConverter.Decode(Database database)
    at Ftm400dAdms7.AdmsForm.menu_ComRead_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Now, this is the same, as in same error report, regardless of the COM port settings, as in speed/baud, and tried FIFO off, low and default.
    Even tried an APRS reset, then tried a factory reset, then restored the previous settings and memories my friend did, sadly no joy.

Also the .NET framework is the 4.7.2 latest version, I do wonder if this is causing an issue. But regardless, let's try something else.

It's frustrating to be so close....

2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread is about 400XDR. You reference ADMS-7 version for the 400DR. Admittedly the linked page is a little difficult to follow without downloading the various zip files and looking at the instructions, which I have not done. So the accuracy of my comment could be suspect.

Link does not go to the files tab. Select that when you get to the page.

https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?c...EFF8482F3367495319&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

3. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

The only radio I've programmed with something other than RT Systems software was my UV-5RE Baofeng. Even though there is RT software available for the UV-5R, I'm not spending $50 on a radio I got for free (club raffle prize.) I managed to program it with CHIRP and once I did that, the radio went on the shelf and hasn't been used since. (I really ought to box it up and give it away...)

I love the ability of the Yaesu Fusion radios to program with an SD Card. It's especially convenient with the FTM-400XDR installed in my truck. Instead of hauling a laptop out to the truck to reprogram the radio, I can easily remove the card from the radio, bring it into the house to write the information to it and then take it back out to the truck and transfer the new programming to the radio. The radio is under the front seat, but I'm able to remove and replace the card in the radio by feel.

RT Systems stands behind their products and will answer questions truthfully, even though it might mean the loss of a potential sale. When I first got started, I had an FT-270 HT that i bought the RT software and cable for. When I bought an FT-60, I asked RT if I could use the same cable for the FT-60. They said yes I could, but that the software was different (which I bought willingly.) Now i have RT Systems software loaded in my computer for ten different Yaesu models and I will be buying the 11th package soon.

4. M6XXO

@KE5MC thank you, I mistakenly assumed this thread covered all the ftm 400d variants. The ADMS software seems identical to each other and extremely similar to the RT systems one.
    I would be interested to know if anyone uses the Yaesu ADMS software for their 400, and any tips that may help others.

@K6CPO
    Thank you!
    Love Chirp, and have used commercial Icon software, Retevis DMR software and TYT DMR for both amateur and commercial uses.
    From my few days worth of searching for 400 software, the main one that keeps popping up is the RT systems !

Apologies for getting the wrong thread.

5. KE5MC

No worries here. Hoping right or wrong you got information that helped. :)

K3XR likes this.
  6. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no difference in the programming of the FTM-400DR and the FTM-400XDR. I have both and have no problem using the Yaesu supplied software to program them both via SD card. RT Systems sells their software as simply for the 'FTM-400.'

In addition, I am able to use the same micro SD card with the FTM-400s, FTM-100, and FT2D. The saved configuration has to be the same for both FTM-400s, but the other two can be completely different and share the same SD.

7. M6XXO

Thanks to all for your input and help.
    I bit the bullet and bought the RT systems software.
    Gutted that the company's software doesnt work as other's do.

8. N7BAZ

N7BAZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm missing the boat somewhere... I use RT Systems SW to program the rig. However; when I switch to the B side the programmed items from A are not there. What do I need to do get the A side stuff to the B side?

Thanks, Hal N7BAZ

9. KE5MC

Select and copy in RTS pane of the "Band A Memories" tab and then select the "Band B Memories" tab and paste where you want the item(s). Then save file & push to radio.

RTStabs.JPG

10. M6XXO

Hi Hal,
    You will need to copy and paste the A to B in order for the rig to pick up the memories.
    There are a LOT of options with this rig and software, menu and button choices too.
    Take time to play with the software, might be a tip to create a backup original DOWNLOAD of the rig memories and settings (full back up).
    That way, no matter what you change on the pc, you can always revert to a working file.

Hope that's helped.
    Dave