Programming the FTM-400XDR

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KI7VFW, Mar 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI7VFW

KI7VFW QRZ Member QRZ Page

The built-in repeaterbook search alone was worth the 25 bucks! More than happy to pay. At least I can get all of the locals set up, and with a little more research I can filter them out even more. Just glad to have it all in the radio to start with.

2. KI7VFW

Yes, you made perfect sense, Bob. So ultimately whenever I switch to a fusion repeater I have to manually change the mode every time in order to use it in fusion mode.

3. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-991(a) and the FT70D will retain the digital mode (DN) if programed into memory. I just double-checked that with mine. Now, that's using the RT Systems software. Not sure about manually inputting the memory channels. The 991 software drop-down box for the operating mode has AM, FM and C4FM (for VHF/UHF) while the 70 software has AM, FM, DN and VW. The FT2DR, 100 and the 400 will only program FM so yes those radios do have to be manually set to digital. It seems right now Yaesu is kind of all over the place regarding their digital radios. The ht's can program up to 24 individual banks while the others don't have that option. I use the WIRES-X System a lot (have my own node) and it works very well with excellent audio quality but I'm hoping Yaesu gets a little more uniform with their radios in the future (fingers-crossed).

WQ2H and KI7VFW like this.
  4. KI7VFW

I wish there was WIRES-X around here but I have yet to be able to make a connection to any nodes. Plenty of C4FM repeaters, which was my main reason for getting the radio, although the WIRES would be a nice addition. Might just have to be the first to set up a node and get it happening in these parts.

5. AI6AK

I've had my node set-up for probably about a year, maybe a bit longer. I was the only one here (that I know of) to have one. Now, a bunch of guys in the local club are buying nodes and setting them up. We do have one club Fusion repeater but it's set to analog because just about everyone using it doesn't have digital radios. One of the guys with the new node has also now set up a digital Fusion repeater and is getting that all dialed in. The Fusion and WIRES-X digital stuff is slowly getting popular here. Even though most of the town doesn't have antenna restrictions there's quite a few guys with just a HT or a VHF/UHF base set up and don't do a lot of HF. Those guys are very interested in being able to make some distant contacts without an elaborate station.

6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's interesting, I didn't think any of them did that. I guess Yaesu finally got the message on this for the newer radios but it would sure be nice to have it in all of them.

7. AI6AK

I had thought some did and some didn't so I had to go back and recheck. The problem I have is every radio is different and I forget how to do different things and am constantly going back looking through the instruction manuals. Every one (991, 100, 400, FT2, FT70) all have different menu systems. They do many of the same things but there's different ways of doing them. Gets confusing sometimes.

8. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably overkill at this point - but 100% with the RT software / cable solution. I have a set for each of my Yaesu's. If you decide on an FT2DR some day you'll definitely need it.

The Wires-X works but it is a little quirky - you may not be overly impressed with it. Any radio system connected to the internet has me scratching my head anyway so I may be jaded. The big win for me on the C4FM is the digital mode, which works great here, and the ability to send and receive images. (hand mic with a built in camera - who would have guessed!!) Good luck and enjoy the FTM-400 !

Jim, WQ2H