Problems With ALPHA 8410

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W3XAF, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Ken, it took a lot of jumping through the hoops and some screaming and hollering, but the fact Alpha shipped you a completely different amplifier kind of is an admission from Alpha that you got a dog. Yes they are finger pointing and skipping around trying to make it look like it's not their fault but it really doesn't matter now. What matters is the amplifier was replaced and you have got what you need for the operation of your station. I'd just be happy with that.
    It's kind of like the bank making a mistake on your account. You would have to pull teeth out before they would ever admit fault. There are scapegoats for their errors, such as, the computer made an error. Well it took a person to put that error into the computer to begin with but more often then not people accept that excuse.
    Relax and enjoy your fully functioning amplifier and just let the other things slip away.
    Gary

2. AG6K

AG6K Ham Member QRZ Page

 Amen Gary. It's called hubris - which is why it took so long to get rid of the 18th Amendment mistake after it was realized that a war on alcohol was a disaster for this country. Of late we have been finding out the same thing about Tricky Dick Nixon's War on Drugs.
    - editorial - For a dose of reality regarding Nixon's War on Drugs I recommend the uncensored version of the movie "Spun" (2002, 101 minutes).

3. W3XAF

W3XAF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Gary,

You are absolutely correct. My brand-new ALPHA 8410 is working perfectly. It's a gem of an amplifier. No complaints whatsoever.

4. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True, most of 'dat. Except for making the assumption you understand what <most> amateurs care or know about. I'm not sure thats knowable with the info available.

BUT - as far as the crusade...when what you sell is nails, I suppose that its natural to offer nails as the solution to all and any fastening problem. Tiresome, though.

AB1QP

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you really the ONLY W3AXF writing these posts?

AB1QP

6. AG6K

AG6K Ham Member QRZ Page

 Many of Rolls-Royce's problems were caused by Lucas electrics. My neighbor had a Bently and the dealer in Beverly Hills used to pick it up on a flatbed truck to haul it to the hospital. . . . Fortunately Rolls switched to Bosch electrics when BMW bought them out. Eventually my neighbor got rid of the Bently. However , it was definitely a beautiful automobile. I guess you could say it invited comparison to a beautiful woman -- nice to look at but . . . . . . .

How could decreasing the VHF-amplification of a HF/MF amplifier c. 70% and retrofitting glitch protection cause a problem? Is a 2% decrease in P-out at 28MHz likely to cause a problem?

To find out whether or not a HF/MF amplifier had a VHF or UHF oscillation, don't take anybody's advice, instead disconnect one end of the suppressor R and measure the ohms. If it's more than 5x out of tolerance, chances are you had at least one.

7. AG6K

AG6K Ham Member QRZ Page

 It seems to me that the solution is to stop reading that which tires you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.