Problems With ALPHA 8410

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W3XAF, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W3XAF

W3XAF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

God, I hope not. I'm only 74 years old. Hi Hi:rolleyes:

2. W3XAF

I really like your explanation!! It's very possible since RF Concepts is a very small company.

3. W3XAF

Well Phil, I thought that this would be the correct platform to inform everyone who reads this forum what happened to my ALPHA 8410 after I purchased it directly from ALPHA. I certainly did not want any advice from you "kids" concerning (a) My trouble shooting techniques and (b) My knowledge of electronics. I'll know better next time I have a problem.

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I meant that you took your amp and living body elsewhere.

OTOH Im pushing 72 and have been building and repairing amps for myself and others since I was in HS. Back when Alpha was a real company I worked closely with all there doing "authorized" unauthorized warranty and other service in my dungeon as shipping was always a PITA for many owners.

Carl

5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's funny, I call my workshop a dungeon too.:eek:

6. W3XAF

Phil,
    I never asked for any help or advice. I was simply stating what problems I had with my brand-new ALPHA 8410.

7. W3XAF

After working really great for three weeks, my ALPHA 8410 stopped working yesterday for no apparent reason.

I was using the amplifier on 75 Meters for 20 minutes and it was working just fine. I then tried to tune up on 160 Meters and the red Fault light kept blinking after I got past 20 Watts input power and the Reflected Power W indicator went all the way to the right. By the way, I was on 160 Meters last night for one hour with absolutely no problems.

Now I can't tune up on any band. After I get past 20 watts input power, the red Fault Light blinks and the Reflected Power W Indicator goes all the way to the right.

I've checked all three fuses and they are good. I do not want to remove the Alpha's cover and do any trouble shooting because my ALPHA is still under warranty.

By the way, three weeks of continuous use seems to be the "critical" point for this piece of junk. I immediately notified ALPHA and their president contacted me via e-mail and assured me that he would have a brand-new ALPHA 8410 shipped to me immediately. Please stay tuned for more information about this "really-great" $5,000 amplifier.

8. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Crappy amp good service take your pick. Thanks for the info.

9. W3XAF

Hi Carl,

Well, I have to admit that the people at RF Concepts have leaned over backwards to assist me with my 8410 problems. They actually sent me a brand-new amplifier last week. So far, the new amp works great!!
    (See. I can be a nice guy too. All people have to do is to be respectful when they post an answer to one of my messages on this message board. Hi Hi

10. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

Even Rolls Royce had thier bad days. Alpha has always been a stand up company they have helped me trouble shoot a 17 year old amp that had an intermitt. TX problem. Glad it worked out for you so far( we'll keep our fingers crossed). I did not think it was Ol' Parasitic vodoo snake oil BS that was the problem like the only one person in the world thinks. I have never seen a problem from that but I have seen the problems that his so called fixes cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.