Problems With ALPHA 8410

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W3XAF, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W3XAF

W3XAF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No. The topic of my thread is "Problems With the ALPHA 8410". My amplifier blew fuses because ALPHA had provied the wrong fuses in my amplifier when it left the factory. I bought the correct fuses at Radio Shack. By the way, from day one--I was in contact with ALPHA Tech Support concerning my problems with the ALPHA 8410.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, at least you found a good source for fuses. Good luck!

b.

3. W3XAF

Who said I replaced the fuse with one of higher value? Where did you get that idea from?

4. W3XAF

Thank you for your "expert" advice. Who said I didn't stop and troubleshoot the problem? I was in contact with ALPHA Tech Support from day one of my problems with my ALPHA.

5. W3XAF

Thank you for your "expert" advice. I replaced the fuse because ALPHA had supplied the wrong type of 2 Amp fuses with my ALPHA 8410.

6. W3XAF

Well, Chris my friend. I'm truly sorry that you're having a problem with your nose. The reason I haven't answered all the negative posts about me is because I just logged on to this forum again only yesterday and then I read all the ridiculously antagonistic posts by people who were in diapers when I got my first ham license in 1958.

I was in contact with ALPHA from day one. I had a "LEMON" and ALPHA finally admitted that they shipped me a bad amplifier. I sent that 8410 back to ALPHA, they fixed it for me and then sent it back to me. It is working fine now.

7. W3XAF

AMEN to that!!

8. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 There is no feud. The evidence that VHF and UHF parasitic oscillation sometimes happens can seen in the autopsy photos in "Parasitics Revisited", Parts 1 and 2 in the September and November, 1990 issues of QST Magazine.
    8877.w6iha.jpg

RE: "feud with the world": My guess is that fewer than 10% of Amateur Radio operators currently believe that it is absolutely, positively, 100% impossible for an amplifier tube to have a VHF or UHF oscillation.

9. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow! Talk about longevity!

Really?

It would be my guess that almost all Ham radio operators would not know or care.

This is the "plug and play" generation of ham radio like it or not. Most of them (us) don't know even the most basic things about ham radio, nor do they (us) seem to care.

Rich, I've been reading your stuff for decades and you still have not convinced me that your theory is correct. Nor have you convinced me that every thing that goes wrong in a commercial amp is somehow related to these mysterious parasitics.

Who knows? You might be right, but your arguments are not conclusive, especially when you dilute them so much.

Good luck with the crusade. How many years (decades) has it been now? Is it not time to give it a rest?

73 Rich and I mean it with all sincerity...

Gary

10. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 tnx Gary

* - note - It is my opinion that one of the reasons QST-staff asked me to write "Parasitics Revisited" in 1990 was because W1AW had an Alpha 77S that semi-regularly destroyed 8877s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.