ad: hrd-2

Problems With ALPHA 8410

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W3XAF, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 Carl: Have you autopsied an 8877 and a 8873/4/5 ?

2. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 What the Eimac 8877 development team observed can not be reversed.

"The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth".
    -- George Orwell, *1984*

Photos of gold sputtered grids are in "Parasitics Revisited", September/October 1990 QST.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

** REALITY CHECK **

The topic of this thread is about a ham who didn't have the common sense to stop transmitting when his amplifier started blowing fuses. It is NOT about Rich's 25 year old feud with the world!

Thank you.

4. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 We agree on stopping to investigate when the fuse blew.
    There is no feud. The evidence is published in "Parasitics Revisited" in the September/October 1990 issues of QST. There are still some holdouts who think that C-feedback can be safely ignored, and that the Q of a VHF/UHF suppressor does not matter, but most people now know better and some of them even understand why.
    . In my last conversation with Eimac's Willis B. Foote he said we make amplifier tubes. It's up to the amplifier engineers to figure out how to keep them from destroying themselves.

5. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 So it seems Carl. Maybe he got an offer he could hardly refuse?

6. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

7. AG6K

AG6K QRZ Member QRZ Page

 Is it snarky to tell the unpleasant truth?

8. W3XAF

W3XAF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I shipped my totally dead brand-new ALPHA 8410 back to RF Concepts a few days after it stopped working. They repaired it free-of-charge because it was under warranty. RF Concepts had originally installed a faulty circuit board in my ALPHA that somehow got passed quality control. They also included the wrong type of 2-Amp fuses with my ALPHA 8410. The fuses were supposed to be SLO-BLO but were not. The fuses that I bought from Radio Shack were 2-Amp SLO-BLO and were the correct fuses for my ALPHA 8410. If any of you who had made condescending comments about my radio repair knowledge would have checked my bio on QRZ.Com you would have read that I'm 74 years old, hold an Amateur Extra License and was an aircraft radio operator for 30 years. I have repaired more HF equipment in the past 50 years then one could possibly imagine!!

I got my ALPHA 8410 back from RF Concepts last week and it's working just fine now.:) Again, the problem was a bad circuit board that somehow got passed quality control and also the wrong type of 2 Amp fuses.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

XAF, glad it all worked out.

I wonder how the wrong fuses and a bad circuit board assembly "got past quality control"?

Maybe it was inspected during the Christmas party.:p

10. W3XAF

W3XAF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, golly gee. Thanks for giving this 74-year-old ham who has more than 50 years of electronics experience your great advice. The only thing wrong with your advice is that in my case--it's absolutely wrong. The 2 AMP fuse blew because somehow my ALPHA 8410 had the wrong fuses when it left the factory. I inserted a SLO-BLO fuse in the 2 Amp position. The Radio Shack fuses that I purchased were SLO-Blo and 2 Amp. and were the correct fuses. My ALPHA 8410 went bad because when it left the factory, a circuit board was not working correctly:mad:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.