Problems decoding Olivia

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by M0WAN, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. M0WAN

M0WAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying to experiment with Olivia and have installed MixW plus the Olivia DLL to try to copy some transmissions.

I can hear a couple of transmissions right now around 14.114+ but they seem very wide band - the highest standard setting I have is a bandwidth of 2000Hz but looking at the waterfall some of the tones still fall some way outside the edge markers at both ends.

I have tried manually entering larger bandwidths (such as 2250Hz) whilst keeping the 128 tone setting (this sounds closest to what I'm hearing) but still no copy at all, and I am correctly aligning the marker on the initial marker tones. (I have also tried inverting just in case.)

Anyone know what the problem is?
    I have yet to copy anything in Olivia, which is a great pity.

Thanks for any pointers.
    Andy.

2. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Andy.

You might be hearing ROS, a different mode that might sound similar to Olivia if you aren't used to it.

I wrote a blog post about Olivia a while back which a few people said that they found helpful in getting started. If you explore a bit further you might also discover what I feel about ROS...

3. M0WAN

Just to update, I have now had Olivia contacts on 20 and 40. A great mode which still printed text even when the signal dropped below audible - I was very impressed!

About ROS, you may be right - the segnals are way too wideband for normal Olivia and i don't know what else they could be. Thanks for the advice - I did a heck of a lot of reading on various digimodes after that. :)

4. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I often think that its the large number of digital modes, with different varieties within the mode which inhibits people in trying them and that's why the vast majority continue to use the original, PSK31. It really is irritating when having finally discovered what it is, the caller stops calling !

G0GQK

5. F1HKN

F1HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

HI dear om. In France i've made contacts on olivia mode on 14.103 or 14.106 Mhz in 32/1000 and 8/500. The signal you hear with 2Khz bandwidth is certainly a ROS signal. I' cant decode this mode because it's impossible on my PC to set up the software with windows 7 (64 bits). I've not find the solution yet.
    73's de Leon

6. M0WAN

Thankyou Leon, I am now sure the signals are ROS. I have read about the new mode and it does not interest me very much!

7. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well you're better off without it. According to some folks in this Yahoo group, the ROS software connects to random DX clusters and spams them with information about signals heard, and there's no way to disable the feature. Some people have been wondering if that's all it sends out.

8. M0WAN

Hmmm... Sounds a bit naughty. I'll stear clear of that mode then, but it does sound nice! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.