Problem with Yaesu FT-450D VFO rotary encoder

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by DH4SC, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. DH4SC

DH4SC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone!

From time to time you read about faulty vfo rotary encoders of the Yaesu FT-450 and 450D models. I own the 450D for about 4 months now. My rotary started to freak out last friday, now it quit working completely.
    Does anyone know about the problem with that encoders?
    The german Yaesu distribution is a joke so I had to order the spare part from a dealer in Austria, thereĀ“s absolutely no service in Germany - what a shame!!! Dealers that I called said "forget about the Yaesu DL", I tried to call Yaesu/Sommerkamp DL for days with no answer!!! No response to my email.

Back to the problem.......

I get the spare VFO encoder this weekend and replacing the old one is no problem for me. But I would like to know how the encoder works, should be optically, and what goes wrong in it after a time. Can the same happen to my new VFO encoder or is there any update on the new ones?

Stefan, DH4SC

2. KE3WD

KE3WD Ham Member QRZ Page

Alas, many are NOT optical.

Contacts, with brush to armature.

They can fail due to corrosion, dirt, wear.

Try "pulling" on the knob while turning, often is the case that this little bit of pressure will make better contact on the center brush and restore operation if not at least show you that it is indeed happening as described.

I have had a certain amount of success in cleaning these non-optical encoders, by using a tiny jeweler's hand drill bit to put a tiny hole in the side of the "box" part of the encoder, then introducing a very tiny amount of Deoxit in thru that hole and immediately rotating full travel several times while still wetted.

If the above procedure works, I then clean the outside of the thing with a bit of alcohol and cover my tiny hole with a piece of transparent "scotch" tape.

First thing to do is to makie good and sure it is not an optical encoder, though. Likely isn't. The majority are point-contact.

Good way to find out is to get any part numbers found actually on the thing rather than the YAESU [part number and then websearch to see if you can find a datasheet from the real manufacturer.

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This one appears to be optical and it's made by Copal part # RES20D50-201-1D and Yaesu part # Q9000709A they are used in the entire line of Yaesu transceivers. The manufacturers data is here; http://www.jinhong.co.kr/2008/product/ENCODERS/rec_res_en.pdf.
    They work by disrupting a beam of IR light and there are two such detectors in the encoder. They overlap each other in a quadrature output where one output is 90 degrees separated from the other output. This way you can detect which way the encoder is turning by which signal triggers first. The information on how they work and then some is at; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.