ad: chuckmartin

Problem of radio noise raised at ITU

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Problem of radio noise raised at ITU
    International Amateur Radio Union (IARU) Secretary David Sumner K1ZZ reports on the ITU Radiocommunication Assembly (RA) that took place in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, Oct 21-25, immediately preceding WRC-19

On the open group ARRL-IARU David writes:

It's Sunday morning in Sharm El-Sheik. WRC-19 opens tomorrow. Last week the Radiocommunication Assembly (RA) met to approve standards developed during the 2015-2019 cycle of work in the ITU Radiocommunication Sector and to begin planning the work for the next four years. Flavio Archangelo, PY2ZX, attended the RA as a member of the Brazilian delegation and pressed, with support from several other administrations, for greater attention to be paid to the growing problem of radio noise. Flavio is an important member of the IARU team at CITEL and ITU meetings.

The rest of the team is beginning to arrive. The guests at our hotel are a curious mix of families on holiday and conference delegates; the contrast will become even more stark Monday as we delegates show up at breakfast in business suits.

There is tight security around the conference center and the official hotels.
    It will be even tighter for the opening ceremony Monday morning because Egyptian President el-Sisi will be in attendance. The WRC will get down to business Monday afternoon [Oct 28].

Source https://groups.arrl.org/g/ARRL-IARU/message/17

Join the ARRL-IARU email group at
    https://groups.arrl.org/g/ARRL-IARU

David Sumner K1ZZ article in ITU News magazine
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/august/ham-radio-featured-in-itu-news-magazine.htm

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/october/problem-of-radio-noise-raised-at-itu.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

K0UO, PP8DA, N4QX and 1 other person like this.
  2. MI0GTA

MI0GTA Ham Member QRZ Page

I could live in hope but I'll die in despair that someone somewhere in the UK will do something about noise crap BT have generated via VDSL broadband and Ofcom's incapability to give a damn about it even after 4 visits and your told good luck.

MW1CFN, WQ4G, G3SEA and 1 other person like this.
  3. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely nothing can and will be done about RFI since this has been going on for over 20 years now..

This is Just another waist of money on a study that will go nowhere.

4. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i am genuinely sorry that you are getting VDSL noise because of BT , i wholeheartedly agree about OFCOM not giving a damm about enforcing against Bt/Openreach, 1 glimmer of hope in the distance for you(i speak as a fellow UK Ham), when Openreach actually get round to doing FTTP to your house the VDSL noise will disappear, trust me on this i have had FTTP for 5 Years no noise problems, and no i not a rich inner city resident,i had absolutely crap asdl 2 for 12 years, in my last 12 months of ASDL i had on average Openreach visit a least once a fortnight due to poor up/down no more than 1.65Mbps ADSL, until they manage to find and fix the 12 yr present fault which didnt work, so they fitted FTTP to my road, my biggest tip for your is to go this website :https://www.ceoemail.com/uk-ftse-100-companies.php , and look up BT email for chairman's office, and email directly to top of bt and more importantly openreach tree, be VERY precise quote your street, box number(the numbers normally in white on your nearest box), address and phone number, tell them which regulations you suspect they are breaking and threaten to escalate further if you get no satisfaction, also CC in your local MP/Ofcom in your email,so they can see who else it gone too, maybe adding the BBC Watchdog contact email,along with a National newspaper of your choice, another important point for you to remember(Openreach wont admit to this point), they have a LEGAL requirement to fix all faults within a fixed 12 weeks, anything else is a breach of their transmission license(ask for a fault reference number when they do contact you, and ring up every week on there 0800 number and keep checking it, dont let up, i once on a Friday night @ 6pm when checking a fault number asked them if they were i quote" are you F**king stupid" , because on my fault number they had sent a dig crew 120 miles away to cure the fault ??, needless to say after i threatened OFCOM, within 2 minutes i had Openreach ringing me and within 45 minutes(friday evening too), i had senior engineer out to my location in relation to the fault, they will bend to your will, they will fix, you just have to start @ the top of the tree, as in my experience Shit falls harder downhill, rather than it going up, start @ Chairman's office no lower, if you want any help my email in my QRZ is good 73s de Kevin 330mbps dl 50Mbps ul :)

G3SEA, VA3CJZ, 5B4ALS and 1 other person like this.
  5. HB9AIS

HB9AIS Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that something ought to be done about noise generating devices of modern electronics.
    Meanwhile autorities around the world are not aware of the problem.
    I am affraid there is no chance !!!

KF4ZKU likes this.
  6. MI0GTA

Kevin,
    Thank you for the reply and your time in sending it...
    That is by far the best reply I've received and as for trying to get something done by the authorities, it is just ignored..
    I asked the RSGB RM here about it and emailed the RSGB committee who are supposed to raise these issues, they were as useful as a fart in a spacesuit but no doubt they'll raise a stink with someone when it effects them in turn.
    What really pissed me off was when the engineer told me I was the first recorded case in GI land now to suffer that vdsl noise interference and then he said good luck with BT.
    I'll get on now with composing an email and sending it to BT ...

Just to let you know, on 40m and 80m my noise level at one time was s1/2, now it's a solid wall of s9.... wiped out...
    Thanks Kevin..
    Stevie
    MI0GTA.

7. M6ENP

tu for your reply Stevie ,try these email addreses(i never gave you them :) )crs.hlc@bt.com,Sharon.White@ofcom.org.uk,,

gavin.e.patterson@bt.com,,,,paul.gilhooley@openreach.co.uk,,,,,<danny.2.woods@bt.com>,,,,,,jonathan.mcquoid@openreach.co.uk, be best to run the names through google to check there still senior management, i have sent to your qrz email, a copy of my arse kicking email that got the best results just as a example of what work,(not me guv :) )

MI0GTA likes this.
  8. M6ENP

9. MI0GTA

Really appreciated Kevin.. Thank you... I'll let you know how I get on with them and if anything is resolved...
    Big thank you again for your help and the info
    Stevie

10. M6ENP

hi stevie if your with BT turn off your router if your noise drop back to S1,its the router,(version 4 should have been replaced due to a recall), put that in email , a picture of s meter might help, tell them you going to raise a complaint with OFCOM ,
    might help ??

Kevin

MI0GTA likes this.
  11. NM5P

NM5P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Getting the worldwide broadcasters off the amateur 40m band is what is really needed.

VK6APZ/SK2022, KG5ZSU, KN4GYM and 2 others like this.
  12. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been reading what the blokes are dealing with in RADCOM. Seems half the letters are about the issue. Rest assured it is a worldwide phenom, anywhere that inexpensive Asian electronics are prevalent, or wired internet services, i.e. everywhere but at the poles. Thus I would expect it is a wonderful time to be in Antarctica and make QSO's with the frozen north, anyway. It would appear that this issue is just another nail in the coffin, or something that is overcome with technology, as in fight fire with fire. As in the digital modes that hear below the noise. If that is not your cup of tea on HF, well then I guess we all suffer together.

KG5ZSU likes this.
  13. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Humpback whales were able to communicate worldwide by soundwaves in the oceans before so many motorized ships and boats created too much QRM for their songs to be heard.

Ham radio is like the humpback whale... it may continue to exist, but its living environment is being polluted by the worldwide proliferation of "incidental" RF emitters.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    KE0EYJ, NF6U, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  14. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps the worst polluters of the radio spectrum are LED lights, which the FCC is SUPPOSED to approve (at least here in the US) but fails to supervise adequately. At night, lights on a building a block away from my home - which really should be motion-sensitive but are on from dusk to dawn - so completely blot out the 20m band that not even FT8 can break through, much less SSB or CW. And 40m is a roar; the QRN is S5 to S7 at night. (FT8 sometimes works on that band, but only if the other station has substantial power.) Higher frequencies are a bit quieter, but do not propagate in these times of few sunspots. In short, those LEDs are really killing the only ham bands that work right now.

KK3Q likes this.
  15. MI0GTA

Spoke with BT engineer earlier who gave me a number for the team that move street equipment, even though I told him I don't want anything moved.
    so I rang the number, BT passed the buck saying call your provider first.... i'll try email today, never got a chance yesterday..