Problem in EasyPAL...

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by W8NSI, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I down loaded the currrent latest version of EasyPAL from the web site. When I install it, my anti-virus program, VIPRE, says that EasyPAL is trying to install a exe file called c2.exe and that it is a trojan or virus. VIPRE is blocking c2.exe from installing.

My system: HP Laptop running WinXP Home SP3, SignaLink USB soundcard insterface.

Other soundcard programs run normally (MixW, fldigi, MMSSTV, MMTTY, etc.). I use fldigi daily on mt63 for MARS digital nets. The sound card and computer are working fine. EasyPAL does not. In the setup I DO have it set to use USB sound card.

Does anyone know if c2.exe is supposed to be installed by EasyPAL and what it does?

2. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

c2.exe is part of the Visual Basic programming language. It is a legitimate file and is not a trojan. I installed the latest version from http://www.kc1cs.com/ and had no issues. I've not heard of the VIPRE anti-virus program I use Avast here at home.

3. W8NSI

EasyPal problem

VIPRE Anti-spy/Anti-virus

I have tried the others. AVAST, AVG, NORTON, etc...

Since I couldn't extract a copy of the c2.exe from the easypal installer, I have sent the download link to Sunbelt Software with an explanation of the problem. Hopefully they can resolve this.

I emailed the EasyPAL download site about the problem and got a multiline, english-as-a-second-language, no punctuation email reply that I am still decoding. Depending on where you insert commas and periods, it takes on whole new meanings. :D

4. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen that also, but if it is a nasty then there are a lot of guys hanging around on 7.173 that have infected computers because they all use that software.

5. W8NSI

VB plugin posing as a nasty...

If people have seen this before it makes me wonder why it is still a problem?

BTW, I love the pics of the St. Thomas golf course, Rick. Next summer I may have to drive over for a day and play there. Some of those fairways look really tight! We have a 36 hole course near here you might enjoy for the same reasons called Brigadoon Golf Club (lovingly known locally as Bring-a-dozen Golf Club). Fun but unforgiving to hooks and slices... I like your club selection. Mine are all built out of the Golfsmith catalog by myself except for my Ping Anser brass putter. :D

===
    Golf is my other passion besides ham radio!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  6. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jim

I wondered the same thing when I downloaded the latest version. I do not recall that problem on the older version I installed on my CPU I use for digital modes.

St Thomas Golf & CC is a beauty. Rated well inside the Top 100 in Canada. We hosted the RCGA Senior Men's Championship in September and only one player was under par. And he is the best Senior Amateur in the World!

Let me know if you want to play, you have to play with a member. I can do that for you.

Is Brigadoon in Grant MI?

7. KA5S

KA5S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems the author called system files -- some hidden -- so a relatively small, short program can run from a memory stick. At least, that's the impression (likely a terminological inexactitude) I got, reading a mail list from Yahoo Groups. Seems that's a common malware trick and a Red Flag to AV SW.

Cortland
    KA5S

8. W8NSI

Versions of EasyPal

I had an earlier version of EasyPAL and didn't experience this problem. I thought I had backed up the older version archive but seem to have misplaced it. The problem happened when I upgraded to the current version available on the web site which led me to believe that there was an infected file in the archive. My antivirus program said it found a trojan/virus.

As for Brigadoon, yes it is the one in Grant, Michigan. They have four 9's there and all first holes are elevated with many opportunities to lose your ball with a short or off center drive. The course signature hole has the tee box elevated about 100 feet above a water surrounded green. Listed distance is 150 yards. Use a sand wedge to lob out a long high shot and let it drop straight down to the green. Usually it is a blind shot because the tee box is set back from the edge a ways. Tees are Black, Blue, White, Green, and Red. I play the white tees while a few of my friends play the black tees. Since my bypass surgery, I seem to have lost some yardage and my buddies say I better start playing the greens... I am resisting it. :) FUN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.