ad: elecraft

Privacy as a Ham radio operator.

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KI6UVK, Sep 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KI6UVK

KI6UVK Ham Member

How do you keep your address private on the internet as a Ham radio operator? I discovered my name and address was published on the internet due to having a Ham radio license. The FCC has made it public knowledge. Other websites have published it too for unknown reasons. Is there anyone who can help me to fix this? Thank you.

2. WB0LSR

WB0LSR Ham Member

Some people use PO boxes to keep their address private, but as far as your name etc., I don't think there is a way to keep that private unless you keep your callsign private.. but that'll put a dent in your ability to participate in the hobby.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member

You are required by the FCC to have an address they can reach you at. You can get a PO box, or someone elses address that can always reach you, like a parent or son, etc. That address is part of a public record. Really no way around it.

Joe

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

I can't think of any federal license that isn't public record.

A PO Box is nice, we had one before I earned my license due to issues with the mail carrier in this aria.

5. KI6UVK

KI6UVK Ham Member

If you can use a PO Box, great. Just need to remove the old (Current) address off the internet. If anybody knows how to do that it would help. Thanks for the info.

6. W5RB

W5RB Guest

It would appear that there's a new policy afoot , as it seems the OP has just been delisted by QRZ. Of course there are a dozen other databases that he'll still be in , including ULS . P.O. box is the simple solution .

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

A P.O. box is a bit more private but your name will always be in a public data base with the FCC, and using that alone anyone can be found if someone looks hard enough.

8. KE5YJR

KE5YJR Ham Member

As far as I know, once you have been licensed, and already used your home addy, it will always be available to anyone who wants to find it. You can cancel your license and go take the test again and use your p.o. box addy, but your old name, call and addy will still be on the web forever.

I do not understand this thinking of some ops, I want to know who you are but, I do not want you to know who I am. My mother had this for quite awhile when she was first licensed and was quite paranoid about anyone having the ability to look her up. As time has gone on she realized that yes anyone can, but most people who are not into ham radio do not even know how. Further yet, most don't care. Funny though she lives in NJ with a KC6 vanity call, so anytime she is on VHF, she gets looked up out of curiosity

I have not met anyone yet on air that I was worried about knowing where I live.

9. W4PG

W4PG Moderator Staff Member

I've noticed in the past that even when someone changed their address to a PO Box, the previous address is listed in the administrative update on the FCC site. I'm not sure if the FCC will remove that or not. Every one of us (not just hams), unless we've been living on a different planet, has demographic data in numerous databases available on the web - some free and some for a fee. There are several ham databases available as well. Simply changing QRZ won't affect those at all.

.............Bob

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber

Not only can anyone find your address, but then they can use Google Earth or Mapquest and find exactly how to get to your house, maybe even aided by a high definition aerial or satellite photo of your property.

In years past, a couple of times I received personal threats over the air. I didn't worry about it, because back then, it would have nearly impossible to find my whereabouts out in the country where I lived, even with the old rural route mailing address in hand.

11. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator

12. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member

People wanting to hide there address what have you done that make you afraid of someone knowing where you live? I don't care who they are I will tell them where I live friend or foe.

Anyone who wants to know where you live and has a computer can find you in less than 3 min and that is a fact.

13. WB0LSR

WB0LSR Ham Member

I agree with that!

14. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator

What if someone is still using dial up? ;)

15. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member

You are licensed by the U.S. Government. What did you expect? One of the first things I tell my students when I teach an amateur radio class is the fact that their address etc. will become public. Besides there are other ways of finding out were someone lives if you really need to find them.

Paranoia alive and well on QRZ.

16. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member

No worries...

My domicile is protected by a large dog. My backup is a Smith and Wesson.

17. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber

There is no such thing as,... 'privacy'... Never has been, Never will be. Nature of the beast... :mad: :eek:

18. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member

Even before ULS, there was the Callbook. Name, address, all there. Did the Callbook get callsign name and address information through the Freedom of Information Act?

The first time I applied for a license I must've done a crappy job filling the Form 660 (my handwriting is still horrible). The license came back with my name misspelled. Predictably, my name was misspelled in the Callbook as well. Be glad that the online databases at least correct errors faster than newsprint!

73, Jordan

19. KD0HDH

KD0HDH Ham Member

Found out a while ago that my address and other info was already on the FCCs website with my callsign. Pulus if I Google my name my name address and phone number come out on the web anyway so seems like its' worthless. I had my phone number unlisted for the last 3-4 years, suddenly this last phone book that came out had not DH's name but MY name along with our address and phone number listed. What I didn't realize is that when I switched us from the phone company to Comcast for our phone it got put into the local phone book because I had NOt told them to unlist our phone number. Seems they sell the info to the DEX people automatically.

20. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member

There is not such thing as keeping addresses private. For $1.95 intelius.com will get it. For $49.95 it will get much much more.
    Disclaimer: I have no association with intelius. There are others that will do the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.