ad: CQMM-1

Presenting the new Icom-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Sep 1, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If this thing comes out in the $800 price range it will flatten the market when it comes to QRP radios, especially the FT-818 and the KX3. Just bought a KX3 with all of the upgrades except the amp and had I known this was coming out I definitely would have held off. Now it looks like I have to have one of these to compliment the 7300 & 9700. Having the familiar look and feel of the radios that I have in the shack while working QRP in the field will be well worth it to buy the 705.

I have a feeling they will use the base programming for the 7300/9700 and this won’t have a CW encoder/decoder for contesting. That is something that the KX3 has that I suspect this won’t have. Time will tell.

It’s going to be a tough sell if this isn’t slightly below the price of a new 7300. Unless you really want a QRP radio, pricing it the same as the 7300 will make it a tough sell especially since there is no ATU in the radio and for the same price you can buy a 100w 7300. I guesstimate that they will price it just below the 7300 but not by too much. Again, time will tell.

K0UO likes this.
  2. YB6IOV

YB6IOV Ham Member QRZ Page

Good,it is a new product Icom, Ic 705 hf, 2 meters and 70 Centy(uhf)

AD8BM likes this.
  3. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I definitely think for the right price this could be a nice addition to the shack. It might even be a nice portable rig. Wonder if they will come out with a companion amplifier. For now I will be good with my Anan 100D and Elecraft K3 (though i might add 2m and USB mods to the K3).

KD0WGB likes this.
  4. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What antenna to use with it to cover all those bands? Would be better with 2 antenna ports,but I know. It would be costly and take up valuable space. I am liking the radio though,but knowing Icom items gonna take 12 to 18 months until released.

5. N3OP

N3OP Ham Member QRZ Page

No; the 9700 does not include HF or 50 MHz.

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The one thing I want to know, current consumption on receive, has not been published, as far as I have seen.

7. K6GS

K6GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

probably left out a 1 in front of the 6...

Then they'll discount it by $500 a week after launch :D

8. JR3IXB

JR3IXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard that ICOM is making efforts to show its price below 100000 JPY w/o options.

9. KG5KPU

KG5KPU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great rig with great features, except...

Life is too short for QRP.

David
    KG5KPU

N0YPD likes this.
  10. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not for us young ones.

I'll be preordering one just like I did the 9700.

No internal tuner is kiiiind of a drag, but I have a tapped coil vertical and a lil' tuner box for wires. Won't stop me none.

Half of the appeal for me is having a second D-star rig and a second 6m rig just to keep on the side. Then when it's time for a park run, grab this and go.

Wouldn't be opposed to buying into the ID51 ecosystem either given that the batteries are compatible.

11. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that makes it about $940 at todays rates that's about what you can get an Icom 7300 for, hope it comes in under that

12. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

wow, some excellent specifications and what a great combination of features. Gotta get the backpack, too.

looking for their compatible HF antenna.. I'm dreaming pack portable, quick to set up and tune. doesn't have to offer walking+portable operation.

13. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Makes sense. The Xiegoop G90 is $500. The pattern seems to be D-Star adds about $300 for some reason. Then you pay $150 for the brand name Icom. That would put you at $950. I'll do that in a heartbeat. Hopefully Icom delivers on price.

14. W6UXB

W6UXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does D-Star add $300 ????

KK4HPY likes this.
  15. JR3IXB

JR3IXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope so, too, as the very first street price w/ 8% sales tax here. Hi