ad: ProAudio-1

Presenting the new Icom-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, Sep 1, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine there’s a pretty sizable gap between the two markets Icom are targeting with the IC-705 and PW2.

2. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps, but the possibilities are intriguing.

3. EI3IBB

EI3IBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Only seeing this post now :)

Yes, I have the FT-891, it's a great portable 100 W rig when I don't have the time to work QRP with my little Xiegu X5105.

I also have the Xiegu G90 and Xiegu X5105, both great radios, the G90 is a truly great performing radio with excellent receive quality and rejection of QRM from close signals.

Perhaps I could sell the G90 and X5105 and maybe get half the cost of a 705 and I still have the FT-891, that's going nowhere any time soon, it's a seriously great and very under-rated rig in my opinion.

Still, there is no reason Icom couldn't have installed a proper 12V battery for the full 10 watts out, even Xiegu can provide a 12V battery in their little X5105.

A 20 Watt IC-705 HF only with 12V battery would have been really cool.

K8XG likes this.
  4. KD2LFG

KD2LFG Ham Member QRZ Page

The Xiegu G90 is still looking good due to its having an antenna tuner, antenna analyzer and puts out 20 watts. If you add all the required accessories for an IC 705 to have that capability, both the weight and cost go up considerably. I'm not hating on the IC 705. I was looking forward to a backpack solution that mirrored the features of my IC 7300 with more than 5 watts. Yes, you can add an amp, external antenna tuner, et al, but at what price?

5. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Chinese junk vs. Japanese junk. You're not a true ham if you have to ask "at what price". LOL

6. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I like the G90, but this is still an issue since the Novel was based on a SARS:

"In the present study, we have demonstrated that SARS CoV can survive at least two weeks after drying at temperature and humidity conditions found in an air-conditioned environment. The virus is stable for 3 weeks at room temperature in a liquid environment"

I would really like to try the radio out , it looks a much better QRP at 20 watts, so I asked Radio Oddity if they ship from NV or if the packages come from China.

K9GLS likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Yep. I saw the inventory of Yaesu was drying up since the ships are quaratined in docks so I bought in advance. I'm sure a virus couldn't last on a package but we know so little about it that I don't want to chance it. Radioddity... there is an intersting company. I'll avoid them from now on but I digress.

K8XG likes this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

^The melting down of China to other Nation's Economy will affect everything, many more important then getting a new radio... Seriously it will affect markets and world commerce. All the globalists farmed out all labor to China's slave labor...

KB9OAK likes this.
  9. KB9OAK

Japan outsources to china, but good luck getting either.

10. KB9OAK

You can't swing a dead cat and not hit something made in China.

K8XG and K9GLS like this.
  11. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Going to get really interesting huh?

12. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

^If you have not seen the smuggled videos out of China you have no Idea what is really going on....

13. KB9OAK

I have seen a few. It's not a pretty sight.

K8XG likes this.