Power syupply adive please.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by 2E0LPL, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Hard enough to find two reasonable people sometimes.
    A linear supply will serve you good as long as you don't exceed the capacity. I'm using an old server power supply for the moment but have a linear supply on stand by if needed. No problems so far. Save the battery for times without mains.

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Astron all the way. Linear type power supply design makes less than 3 mv AC ripple at full current. I use a 20 amp model and pull 23 amps peak from it. I was thinking getting a RS-35 (35 amp), but the RS-20 does not lose regulation at 23 amps.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Eventually doing that will come to bite you in the asstron.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Better a few decades for a linear than a a few years with a switcher, with only proprietary components? MY "linear" has been going strong, continuously (save for power outrages) for 35 years straight, 24/7/365.25. How long
    can YOU say that for switchers, designed for the amateur service?

Uh oh. I never thought of THAT! I guess once a decade, whether it needs it or not, is sufficient? I thought leaving it on all the time would keep the "black widders" out of it? :D

5. WA9SVD

Gents (and ladies:), as the case may be:)

The Astron RS-35 is rated 35 Amperes PEAK. But it is ONLY rated 25 Amperes continuous. This (unfortunately) is how almost ALL power supplies are marketed, by their PEAK handling ability (meaning SHORT term) ability.
    Even running ian Astron RS-35 at 25 Amp is pushing it at its maximum capability, with little latitude for failure. It may well work, bur for how long? Using just at the margin of their (allowed) performance ratings pushes them to their absolute abilities. So yes, 16 Volt caps may well perform in a 12 Volt system, but leases little or any "room for error."
    If I (IMHO) had a radio oe system that approached 20-25 Amperes draw normally, I'd use something heftier than a RS-35 supply, and at lest go one step up.

N0TZU likes this.
  6. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

SSB or CW average current is much less than peak current. Thus, no radio will come close to using 25 amps continuous from the Astron RS-35. That is why I can use 22 amps peak on my Astron RS-20 rated at 20 amps peak using SSB plus operating a 2 meter radio in receive. The RS-20 does not fall out of regulation either at slightly above the 20 amp peak rating. So, the Astron RS-35 is far from any failure on a 100 watt output transceiver and could also operate a FM 2 meter or dual bander at the same time on receive. You do not transmit on two radios at the same time..

7. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

" So yes, 16 Volt caps may well perform in a 12 Volt system, but leases little or any "room for error."

As Spock would say "illogical...".

Perhaps typo?

But I do appreciate your concern for economy.
    I'll bet you carry TWO spare tires in your Cadillac or Yugo.
    Reminds me of fellow who calculated intermediate values from slide rule to 4 decimal points, only to adjust the result to no decimal points, just plain " scientifically " guesstimated integer.

8. WA9SVD

Illogical? Spock would probably DEMAND 25 Volt capacitors. I6 Volt caps are TOO close for comfort (or spikes.)