ad: dxeng

Power Supply for ICOM 718

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NVAUGHT, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
  1. NVAUGHT

NVAUGHT New Member

I have read and heard bad news about ICOM's PS 125. What power supply should I buy for my ICOM 718?

Thanks & 73!

2. KB8OVK

KB8OVK Guest

I have the IC-718 and use an Astron RS 20A I bought new in 1993. It is a 20 Amp supply and does well even when running the radio at 100 Watts. I do only CW and have had no problems with it tripping or blowing fuses. It has no meters on it but I hook my DVM to the output terminals and can monitor 13.8 volts during operation. Astron also makes models with the meters and it never hurts to go for the 35 Amp model. A little extra reserve never hurts. Not saying it is the best out there but it is the only one I know anything about and has served me well.

http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml

Good luck,
    KB8OVK

3. KC8TBY

KC8TBY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same question when I was looking at purchasing either an Icom 718 or the Yaesu 450. I was adviced by quite a few local hams that I know that the Samlex 1223 (13.8vdc/ 23 amp) switching supply was a good choice.
    Cheaper than the Icom PS 125 but very similar. I have been told that it is one of the more reliable power supplies out there.
    Here is a link from one of the on-line radio retailers with the information about this particular power supply:
    http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZSX-SEC-1223
    Hope that helps!
    Best to you and...Merry Christmas!!!

4. NVAUGHT

NVAUGHT New Member

Power Supply

Thanks to you both. I will check these out.

Merry Christmas!

Niles (waiting for call sign, passed the general on Saturday!)

5. K5GNF

K5GNF Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have an IC-718. I use a Astron RS-50M supply. Never had a problem with the rig running a full 100 watts. So, you can see there are choices you can make. :D
    Congrats on your recent testing.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  6. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

I run an Astron RS-35M and have not had any issues since I bought both items.

7. KC8OZJ

KC8OZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Power Supply?

I have the ICOM 718 and I use the Samlex 1235M 30 AMP. switching power supply and so far so good.:)

8. N7SGM

N7SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-718 Power Supply

Nvaught,

Don't know about the Icom P.S. but I have a Kenwood TS-450SAT that puts out no more than 100 watts. I have a Kenwood P.S. that provides 22 amps so I would venture a guess that a P.S. capable of providing 20-25 amps should work fine. Your radio's manual should provide you this info. The current brochure indicates 13.8 volts, 20.0 amps. Good luck to you. By the way, you are using a rig with a rating of 4.7 out of 5 so you have a great radio for sure at a decent price.

Bob
    N7SGM

9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with the PS-125.... run one on my 718 and ProIII. Prior to that, I used a RatShack switcher PS on the 718 with nary a problem.

Mojo

10. N9IZ

N9IZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My thoughts

Here are my observations as a fairly new ham (less than 10 years).

1. Buy a bigger supply than you think you'll need. I wouldn't buy anything less than 25A and I recommend a 35A or larger so you can power multiple radios (e.g. hf and vhf) and accessories without needing several supplies.

2. Linear supplies are heavier but are very reliable and great in a dedicated station that is not constantly moved around. I own three Astrons: RS-12A, RS-35A, and VS-35M. They have various ratings and options and varying ages up to 20 years but each works well and only one has needed any repair. All three were purchased used from $20-$100. Linear supplies are also easy to repair and troubleshoot.

3. Switch mode supplies are better than they used to be. I've only ever used a friend's Astron switcher with meters (I think it was 25A). I have a good friend and elmer who uses the PS-125 with his ICOM 756 Pro III because it came with it as a promo offer. He's never had a problem with it. He has all top notch gear including an ICOM 775 DSP, ICOM 910, Alpha linears, Palstar AT-4K, and numerous other boat anchors and goodies. His other supply is an Astron RS-70A and powers all gear requiring 13.8V except the aforementioned Pro III. I know two other hams who use the PS-125 to power ICOM 746 radios with no issues.

I hope this helps guide you in making your decisions. Unless money is very tight try to get the best you can afford. Otherwise it'll come back and bite you down the road. That also applies to other ham gear such as tuners and antennas and amps. Merry Christmas and best regards.

Jeff

11. NVAUGHT

NVAUGHT New Member

New Ham

Thanks, Jeff

I agree. I am seriously looking at an Astron RS 35 linear PS. I will let you know what I purchase after the holidays.

Merry Christmas

Thanks again, 73s

KJ4IQT

12. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a Samlex 1223 upon the recommendation from the amateur radio store when I got my IC718 back in 2006. The reason they recommended it, "the 1223 power supply doesn't come back"!

Frank:)

13. KZ4Y

KZ4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

USing the ICOM PS-125

Merry Christmas to all.

I have been using the PS-125 with my 756 Pro ll for several years with no problems at all. About two years ago I saw an article to improve it's performance by changing the switching frequency. After some thought I made the change. The power supply still performs well with no problems 24/7/365. I enjoyed it's use so much that I got it's previous version, the -85 I believe. Both have performed great over the years.

Just my two cents.

73 to all,

KZ4Y

14. N8VKX

N8VKX Ham Member QRZ Page

IC 718

I just got a Jetstream JTPS28 (25 AMPS--28 surge) for my IC 718 and it is performing beautiful! FYI
    Kevin

15. W0EAJ

W0EAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

ICOM PS-125 Switching PS

I have a PS-125 on the bench right now. Info from ICOM is that THEY do not make this supply, rather they get it from an after-market supplier. The SvcDept indicated that "usually" they don't work on them, except if a tech feels like it... i.e. it's not highly regarded.

Often, as in the case with MINE, the surge supressor (absorber) fails. It's connected to the 310vdc (yep, that's what I said) line from the PRIMARY supply, and ostensibly absorbs surges in case of over-voltage. When they go, you will find that they're NOT listed on the parts list; thus I had to Email ICOM to find the P/N for it.

There's no guarantee that this will fix it, but when you have a part with a very small HOLE in the side, that's burned around the edges, it's a good bet it's the problem.

Overall, I prefer my Astron VS-35 - transformers WORK.

Tom - W0EAJ

16. W0EAJ

W0EAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

ps-125 Surge Suppressor p/n

The ICOM part number for ZNR-1 (surge supressor) in the PS-125 power supply is:

ERZV14D621 @ $4.61

[ it is not listed on the parts list ]

17. CPUERROR

CPUERROR QRZ Member

I also used a SEC 1235M PS supply with the 718. Works very well, adjustable output voltage, no hash, and enough headroom to run the 718 + several other radios. Price was around $130CDN, so not too bad.

18. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using the Astron RS-35M for ~20 years and have had no problems, although I recently reworked (cleaned and tightened) the ground connections;after this much time, such is a good idea. At work, we have Samlex 1223 to run the emergency station there - a bit of overkill because all it runs is a Yaesu FT-2800M - and it has also been flawless.

I chose the 35-amp supply years ago with the idea of running several radios from it in the future, and am now running the FT-8900R, the IC-7000, (charging) the FT-817ND, and a couple of other things from it.

19. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything that puts out 13.8v at enough current will do

Icom radios don't just use Icom power supplies . . . same goes with Yaesu/Yaesu and Kenwood/Kenwood. Although linear regulated supplies are heavier, they are preferred over switchers because of the RF hash they are known to produce.

I used a surplus RCA power supply to run my HF rig with no problems whatsoever. Had to reset the max current setting, but for $15, I wasn't going to complain.

DC is DC.

Gary WA7KKP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.