ad: elecraft

Post pictures of your satellite setup/antenna

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KE6CRK, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KE6CRK

KE6CRK Ham Member

I'm in the process of modifying my station for Satellite use. Would love to see pictures of other stations and antennas.

Kelvin

2. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber

3. KE6CRK

KE6CRK Ham Member

Thanks for posting Clint, great job with the Arrow mods. I'm doing my base but would lover to still see both.

Kelvin

4. KB1PVH

KB1PVH XML Subscriber

Nothing too fancy here, 8x8 UHF, 5x5 VHF from Gulf Alpha and a Directive Systems 2325LY loop yagi for 1296 mhz with preamps from ARR. And yes Clint, all that for FM satellites. (grin)

Dave- KB1PVH tower antennas.jpg

5. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber

Operating from a remote location a few miles from home.

[​IMG]

One of my many grid-peditions.

[​IMG]

Another grid-pedition.

[​IMG]

With the configurations above, I've made several thousand contacts on all the current (and a few departed) FM and SSB satellites... In all 50 states, 300+ grid squares, and numerous countries and islands around NA.

W5PFG / Mule Mobile (Kawasaki 4010 Mule Trans)

[​IMG]

Again, portable for another grid-pedition.

[​IMG]

An old Cushcraft 144-10T that was given to me. I use this for making ISS packet contacts at demonstrations. It's a 5x5 element RHCP antenna.

[​IMG]

This is the ARR 25-watt RF-switched preamplifier I use in the car for the UHF downlinks of SO-50, AO-27, and FO-29.

[​IMG]

This is a K5OE-design "handitenna" I use mainly to demonstrate downlinks from CubeSats. Works well with a preamp for any of the V/U birds, too (UHF RX).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. KE6CRK

KE6CRK Ham Member

Thanks for posting the pictures KB1PVH and W5PFG, your setups are looking good. Hopefully others will post-up and share their ideas. I'm in the process of assembling a pair of Gulf Alpha's myself and should have some pictures soon.

7. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber

Which G.A. antennas did you buy? I ordered the 5x5 and 8x8 as KB1PVH displayed. I'm anxious to get them up before the heat of the summer.

8. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member

I don't have any pictures with me that I can put on here, but you can visit http://youtube.com/va7ewk to see videos of my portable satellite station in action.

Depending on the satellite I want to work (SSB/CW vs. FM), I use different radios. For SSB/CW satellites, I typically use two FT-817NDs so I can hear myself while transmitting to the satellite. Sometimes, I will replace one FT-817ND with a Kenwood TH-F6A HT (the HT has an all-mode receiver). For the FM satellites, I use either an Icom IC-2820H 2m/70cm FM mobile radio capable of full-duplex operation (being able to hear the satellite's downlink while transmitting) or assorted HTs. In all cases, I use the same antenna - an Elk Antennas 2m/70cm log periodic antenna (the same antenna that W5PFG has in some of his pictures). I've used this antenna for the past 3+ years, and have been very happy with it. Since I have relatively short coax runs (10 feet/3m from the antenna's feedpoint, and shorter 3-foot/1m jumpers between a diplexer and the two radios in my SSB/CW setup), I don't need to use preamps or higher-quality coax.

Like W5PFG, I enjoy operating from different locations. I've worked from 13 different US states and Washington DC; as well as from Canada, Mexico, and Australia. Other than the antenna and some items that are not permitted in carry-on luggage for air travel, my satellite station fits in an old laptop bag. If I'm on a road trip, I leave enough of the station set up in my vehicle so I can quickly get on the air from almost anywhere I happen to stop. If I made this a permanent station, I'd probably need better coax to cover a longer run between the antenna and radio(s), and possibly use a preamp to compensate for the longer coax run. I could start out with the same Elk antenna, but would probably end up with separate 2m and 70cm antennas - something like what KB1PVH has in his picture.

Good luck, and 73!

9. KE6CRK

KE6CRK Ham Member

I purchased the 70cm 16x16 CP w/polarity reverser. I also have his General purpose 7x7 2m /11 element V 70cm. All to me mounted with the insulated boom and Yaesu G5500 rotator.

10. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber

Wow. You'll knock the bird out of the sky with that antenna. :cool:

It'll be good for listening to AO-7 right down to the horizon if your terrain is suitable.

11. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member

Arrow Antenna and an ht. Couldn't be simpler:

Sats.JPG

And then there's the home made bracket to a tripod with an Arrow Antenna and two ht setup:

sat2.jpg

12. KO4MA

KO4MA Ham Member

Here's my current home configuration. Click to embiggen (It's a Simpson's joke).
    Picture.jpg

13. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber

What kind of crossboom are you using?

I plan to use a pole-vaulting pole to support just 2 antennas on my G5500.

14. KE6CRK

KE6CRK Ham Member

Thanks for posting WD9EWK and K0BAM, your portable setups seem sweet and simple for lack of better words. What does the elevation need to be before the portable setups start hearing the birds?

@-KO4MA, very cool setup! does that tower raise/lower? who makes it? I've been considering something like that for my setup.

Kelvin

15. KE6CRK

KE6CRK Ham Member

:cool: It may be a little over kill, but I'm not expecting to purchase any more antennas for a while and this setup should keep me and friends amused for years.

Kelvin

16. KO4MA

KO4MA Ham Member

The cross boom is one of the 12' M2 ones that came with a used rotor. They are a bit too pricey for me to buy new :)

The tower is a MA-40 crank up with a tilt base. The base is poured to hold a MA-550, which would get over the pines to the south better, but would also make it the tallest grounded thing around.

Antennas are an ancient Cushcraft 2m Yagi, horizontal for best performance on 2m SSB tropo, a M2 436CP30, a M2 220 yagi, and a M2 35 element 1296 yagi. There are preamps for 2m, 70cm, and 1296 just under the rotor, as well as a fixed 10m dipole for Mode A.

17. AA0CW

AA0CW Ham Member

Elevation? Let's see I'm 6'4" and I hold the Arrow Antenna toward the sky...

But seriously folks, since I'm surrounded by a few mountain ranges at 14,000 feet I can hear AO-27 beginning at 11 degrees elevation. That's just about every daylight pass here.

18. KO4MA

KO4MA Ham Member

Last week I worked UT1FG/MM on SSB on FO-29 from my work truck on a 2 degree pass. I was parked on about the only "hill" in Tampa, using the back half of an Arrow with 4 elements for receive to a FT-817. Uplink was a FT-857 to a 5/8 wave magmount. The key was the low surrounding terrain, which gave me an unobstructed horizon.

19. KE6CRK

KE6CRK Ham Member

Good stuff! how big/deep/much concrete did the base for that tower take? I haven't seen this style tower before, and not its got me thinking..

20. KO4MA

KO4MA Ham Member

I have about 2 yards under it, and it also undercuts the patio slab and the house foundation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.