Portable quad loop

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, Aug 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just reading about antennae, as I am known to do on a lazy Sunday, and wondered if any of you low-powered pals have had success tossing closed loops into trees for portable QRP.

On higher HF and 6/2m you could use a single point of suspension on a premade loop.. Going lower in the bands, it might be interesting to make a horizontal, irregular 'run' from tree to tree- if perhaps one had an electrically dependable way to close the loop onsite.

2. KC3JIN

I guess I should've called this "qrp loops".. lol.. specifically exempting short transmitting loops.

3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

STL with QRP, outside = Hog tying yourself and stuffing a rag in your mouth. Why? ;)

If you have a tree, why not hang a dipole, or a vertical wire with one or more radials? Bring along a small tuner. You will have vastly better performance. . You would have a tuning network if you were using an STL, anyhow.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    KC8VWM and N8AFT like this.
  4. KC3JIN

Maybe I misspoke, how about "specifically not including STLs"?

I was thinking more like a 1-wavelength loop.

5. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Not in trees but on telescoping poles. I've tried both 1 wavelength monoband loops and multiband loops that can be tuned in with a balanced antenna coupler.

Some videos:

DELTA LOOP ON 14 MHz

RECTANGULAR LOOP ON 14 MHz

RECTANGULAR LOOP ON VARIOUS BANDS AND POLARISATIONS

KC8YLT, KC8VWM, KC7JNJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a irregular horizontal loop portable.

Magic size is at least one wavelength in circumference.

Obviously up as high as possible.

Rege

KC3JIN likes this.
  7. KC3JIN

VK3YE.. I have seen your videos and your website before and just forgot about it. If someone were making busts of you I'd want one for my shack!

Rege that's the ticket - can you share some more about how you build it on site and get it up high?

KC8YLT likes this.
  8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get there as much as I like, but I camp in the national radio quiet zone, Elleber knob West VA.

I know of a nice clearing, a couple acres that you can drive too, and it's remote enough you can go days without anybody coming by.

I use a slingshot/zebco fishing reel loaded with 20 lb test line and a 3 oz weight, some super cheap yellow poly line and about 500 ft or so of wire.

I slingshot 4 ropes up sorta squarish and pull up the wire, a connect some 300 ohm (I think :) ) window line , just enough to reach one corner of the loop,

And feed the thing with a ten tec Corsair set for about 80 watts, and the little ten tec tuner.

The tuner has a "balun" set of terminal's, and some sort of little ferrite rod, seems to work fine.

I don't worry about height, or length of anything, just get as much wire up as high as possible !

With a 500ish foot loop, 30 or 40 feet up, fed in the south west ish corner,

The loop works out 100 miles on 160 in the day loud,

As you go higher in frequency, it becomes more and more directional to the north west. Just like you would expect it to.

It puts a very respectful signal into south East Asia during the day on the upper bands

On 40 meters day and night it's like I have a wire to Detroit.

Signals into Europe are poor, and the Caribbean pretty fair to excellent.

Man made noise is non existent. If the band is not open, there is s0 noise with gain full up.

Rege

KC3JIN likes this.
  9. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

@KD8ZM uses a delta loop QRP

KC3JIN likes this.
  10. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I do - it is a 160 meter delta (horiz., of course). It is in the treetops, up 35' at the feedpoint smd 50' elsewhere. Fantastic antenna. In winter, I can call CQ using 100 mW and get replies fairly quickly. (Summer, too much qrn).
    In the interest of full disclosure, this is my home antenna, not portable.
    Hope this is helpful! 73
    Brady

KC3JIN likes this.