Portable operation and generators

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K9CPE, Jul 5, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K9CPE

K9CPE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am considering purchasing a small generator (EU200i) for portable operation while camping. FT 857 or 450D @100w / SSB. Will I need any other power related equipment ? - canvthe radio be plugged directly into the 12V outlet on the generator or should i use a small power supply such as a SEC1223 connected to the AC output ? Or some other configuration ?

Thanks.

2. KD2IAT

KD2IAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless they've changed that model in the last couple of years, the 12vdc outlet is really just for charging a battery or running low current draw items.

I've got the same generator, but a few years older. It's a real work horse and quiet as can be. Ours gets a lot of use as we camp in parks with no hookups.

What I'd do is either get an adequate 110vac power supply or get a marine/rv battery (starting power not needed) and charge it off the generator as needed. If you are camping in an rv, consider adding a second battery, run the radio on 12vdc, and let the rv convertor recharge the batteries as needed.

KG7E and K9CPE like this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume that's a typo and you mean the EU2000i. There's a model 200, I believe, but it is 240V European style electricity.

Anyway, I own the EU2000i, and it is good at making 120VAC, but the 12V outlet is not at all suitable for a radio. They just take the alternator AC output and run it through a bridge rectifier only. No regulator, no filter, nothing. They claim it's for battery charging only, but it isn't even very good for that, with very low current capability and no regulation or filtering of voltage or current.

Use the same kind of power supply you'd use at home, and plug in to the generator's 120V output.

KG7E and K9CPE like this.
  4. K9CPE

K9CPE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the responses!

5. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate generators with all their noise and fumes so I use a 100 amp AGM battery and a 150 watt solar panel charging system to run my FT450. No having to carry fuel and it cost way less than the generator would. My 2 cents worth. (^8

6. AC0GV

AC0GV Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember that the 12 volt output is only 8amps, (96 watts). Adding a battery would let you run this generator. I just sold mine, it was very quiet and running on street side would be unnoticed by people under the awning on curb side.
    I have replaced it with a 100 watt solar panel w/regulator (charging the RV batteries) and had good results over a three day boondocking stay in South Dakota. Also, the panel is LIGHT WEIGHT and the eu2000 is 46 lbs and requires gas. Do not buy solar from Harbor Freight, almost any place else will save you money.
    Kenny

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you catch their 45-watt kit on sale, it isn't bad - I think I paid $139 or so for mine. We got about 3 amps out of it charging a 80 Ah boat battery one field day. Quality panels do at least double the current for the same size, but cost considerably more, and don't typically include the charge controller.

As for the generator, I'd still use a power supply on the radio. However, I'd be inclined to get a Super PowrGate and a battery so you could shut down the generator for refueling and for quiet time.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A battery would be needed. But it will work.

That is a lot of weight to haul around.

9. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a bunch of solar panels , charge controllers , inverters , batteries and have been doing solar / alternative energy stuff for about 35+ yrs. , lived off total solar running AC and all other household stuff in one location for about 2 yrs.
    And still keeping an eye out for a Honda EU2000 , since I do not need the generator at this time [ I've owned at least 6 - 8 generators in the past ] it makes it easy to sit & wait for 2 things to come together , a good price & money burning a hole in my pocket ;)
    I would reenforce " do not buy from Harbor Freight " for at least a few reasons , cheap chineeze stuff - will not last , and paying WAY TOO MUCH - around $10 per watt , most of the best panels available can be found for around $2 per watt , so harbor freight is double dipping on ripping you off [ or you are ripping yourself off - they do not force you to buy ] .
    It seems most who go down this road , know very little about batteries and again screw themselves by not informing themselves on what battery technology suits there needs best .
    Again 1st thing to stay away from , any labels saying marine , RV - because many times you can buy the same product outside of the marine or RV store for less - as soon as those labels are applied , the price goes up .
    Then to add to that , the dual purpose batteries are compromise of 2 design types starting & deep-cycle , remember the word compromise , not good at doing either .
    Still the best battery for cost per-dollar for performance is the FLD - flooded lead acid , true deep-cycle .
    There are a lot of other good batteries like AGM , Li , etc. but they have specific advantages - that cost more , and if you do not need that advantage - like sealed , AGM that can lay in any position , what ever - then do not pay for it , Li small light weight cost extra , only pay for it if you need it .
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

10. KM4SXW

KM4SXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used my power pack to run my Yaesu FT-2900 for hours at a time with no problems. The power pack does everything and makes no noise at all. You just have to remember to charge it at least once a month. It charges with 120V or you can hook it up with the jump start cables to your vehicle and let the alternator charge it up quick. You can also charge it with a male to male 12V cord plugged into the cigarette lighter plug on your vehicle while running. I bought mine from Walmart. I connected my radio to the jump start cables since it draws 15 amps at 75 watts. Anything less than that should be fine plugged into the 12V outlet. Also it has a USB port to charge phones/tablets. https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP2260-Instant-Portable-Source/dp/B004EIAADG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016