ad: dxeng

poll: bnc or sma

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by N8NNX, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N8NNX

N8NNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not understanding why most if not all the radio manufacturers are going to sma. I like to bnc connections better on a handheld radio. I am noticing the even the scanner marker has been making their radios with sma also.
    With the bnc you can change antennas quicker and in the mobile you can hook up a mobile antenna with ease. I feel the bnc is more sturdy, more durable, and can withstand a drop better than sma.
    Your thoughts??

I vote BNC!!!
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like the SMA either, especially if I want to change the connection often. My guess is it is cheaper, and smaller. Not hard to use an adaptor tho.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  3. N6OIL

N6OIL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They want you to have to buy the SMA cables and such since must don't have the tools to make their own. BNC goes way back to token ring networks and pro video just like XLR's in audio.
  4. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer BNC as well, but I can understand the use of SMA with HTs that are getting smaller and smaller.
  5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Too much wear on an SMA They were never meant for frequent disconnects and reconnects.
  6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a manufacturer of products that uses SMA connector on the items, I can attest that they are MOST FREQUENTLY broken off! I see transmitters returned almost daily with SMAs gone. BNCs are MUCH more robust. On the other hand, BNCs are as good to use at 2.4 GHZ as SMAs, which is why we use SMAs. N connectors are just too large for the small transmitters we make, so SMA is the only choice. Users just need to be GENTLE and not let GORRILAs use them!
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I seen a listing for some good priced BNC connectors.

Very good price..

Nice Tom.
  8. AG6KM

AG6KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I also prefer the speed of bnc. My guess is manufacturers see sma as smaller and is more water resistant/waterproof for milspec? Wait, that doesn't make sense. A milspec rating should mean the connector is robust.
  9. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking between Yaesu and ICOM handheld for 2 mtr mono band radio. I choose ICOM IC-V80 , because it has BNC connector. I usually prefer Yaesu Radio , but I made exception on this one. Size of the radio does not matter to me that much, I prefer handheld with AA battery capable, and BNC connector.
  10. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

There are some good SMA-to-BNC adapters out there, with rubber grommeting to take the stress of the antenna connecting/disconnecting.

This is the one I used with the VX-5R when I had it - will probably buy another if I get a TH-F6A:
  11. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen more BNC connectors break or go intermittant when wiggled around than bad SMAs. Female MINI UHF socket connectors also have the center contact break off inside frequently. That one is hard to see.
    A radio seems to be transmitting, draws 20 amps but only a few milliWatts get to the outside and terrible receive sensitivity. Magnifying lamp shows no metal inside the connector.
  12. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know there is a cure to this problem but most manufacturers don't wish to implement it.

Buy Stanless Steel SMA connectors.
  13. VK2AKG

VK2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed |
  14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All our connectors are GOLD, cuz gold connectors make the radio look more VALUABLE!
  15. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem usually isn't the SMA connector, even if it's gold plated brass. The problem, I've found, is with whatever the "receptacle" SMA is mounted on and connected to. With an HT, there's no metal chassis so the SMA receptacle is typically soldered right to the edge of a circuit board and just "sticking through" a hole in the plastic case. The plastic helps retain it, but not like a metal chassis, lockwasher and nut would. Eventually the connection at the PCB just breaks. Not the connector's fault, it's a crappy design meant for very light-duty service and not many connects/disconnects.
  16. N8NNX

I also got the v80 for the same reason! It is a great ht with 5.5 watts!!
  17. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I much perfer SMA connectors, you get a more secure fit, but admittedly, they are more fragile. I use small size coax with them when I need to hook to my mobile or large antenna sysems and give a loop in my hand with the HT for stress relief. Just use some sense and avert stress and your SMA will be OK. If you're using large or stiff coax, be sure to use an adapter that includes small coax--if you hook LMR-400 to your SMA, that should be a no brainer--it's eventually going to snap off.
  18. N8NNX

This is a response I received from Icom about sma connections. I asked them why they shifted to sma and why not use more bnc on mil-spec radios because they are more robust.

"Thanks for your e-mail.

We are not able to answer the "why" part of your e-mail because the radios are designed, engineered and produced in Japan and we have no input into the basic design. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the SMA connector and over time, it has proven to be every bit as effective and robust as the BNC but without the complicated design of the BNC type connector. Also, it is much easier to make this connector waterproof than the BNC type. Actually, no antenna connector will withstand being dropped and be able to survive intact, so any radio should be handled with care and caution. We appreciate your patience and understanding."
  19. K3ROJ

K3ROJ Ham Member QRZ Page

SMA is OK for microwave units such as transverters etc. BNC connectors are difficult to install but easier to use so I say BNC is better overall.
  20. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently picked up about 200 Amphenol male BNC, but without the center pins. I have sent Amphenol 5 messages asking about buying just the pins. NO REPLIES. Some service!!!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.