ad: Retevis-1

Police request help from the ARRL in RFI incident

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NK7Z, Aug 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not crazy about this beyond a one-off. There are many emerging commercial companies-- in fact the sector is exploding based on NTIA related interests-- tracking down RFI, and/or monitoring spectrum. ARRL does not add any secret sauce to the soup and should not be in that business.

This was NOT a source of RFI to the ham bands, based upon the COMPLAINT.

As to the sleuthing, there is no ham allocation at 315 MHz, and 433 MHz is usually limited by NTIA related radar. Needless to say cell phones are not in a ham band.

Its useful to demonstrate that sleuthing capability, but I do not see acting in place of a commercial service, outside of ham bands, is part of the ARRL mission.

Maybe ARRL should make a list of such companies, especially those who employ hams.

Nice job, now let some one else do their job, outside of the ham bands.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    W4HM, KB0TT, K8MHZ and 5 others like this.
  3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You are missing a VERY important point, this was for Law Enforcement and NOT commercial interests. You should be glad that L.E. has that much respect and trust in the ARRL to reach out for their assistance.

KI6USW, KV4BL, W1LVT and 23 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No; I missed NO important point.

Its something the ARRL should NOT be doing, as a matter of course, unless it affects, based upon complaint, Part 97.

There is no unique capability, or availability, in that at the ARRL.

W4HM, KT5OT and K9YM like this.
  5. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything that hams can provide to show technical competence is acceptable. If hams can solve this problem, it is a feather in our hats..

KK7AI, KC5MO, KC8NRO and 16 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nonsense, Pete. We disagree on this one.

This is not a ham related event. The ARRL should worry about ham radio. Educating that sleuthing capability--go publish a book!-- is fine, but going out and doing it is not what the ARRL is about.

For those with interest, the need for sleuthing/direction finding services, especially at WiFi, is an exploding cottage industry, based on the abuse of spectrum for dubious and nefarious purposes. The IoT revolution has a dark side, and this is a fix. Its happening.

W4HM, W4HWM and KT5OT like this.
  7. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a ham related event in that LEO reached out to a ham organization for help. Are you seriously suggesting that the ARRL should've declined to help the police department?

KV4BL, W1LVT, SA1CKE and 8 others like this.
  8. K1HC

K1HC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was an abdication of responsibility by the FCC in this case. The Police Department (or Mayor) should have gone to the Congressman in their district and the two Illinois Senators to get the FCC to fulfill its enforcement mission. I agree with Chip, who did say "nice job" to the ARRL effort. It is also great that the Police Department knew enough to contact someone in the ARRL field organization. Once it was found to be a source outside the ham bands, that data should be turned over to the FCC for action. There is still time to go the Congressional route to pick up with the data obtained so far. After all, the Legislative Branch holds the "purse strings" of the FCC as an Executive Branch agency through the Federal budget process, so the FCC should react once this gets in the right channels.

K0MB likes this.
  9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You missed the point by a mile. Their is no excuse for anyone turning their back to any public service agency or military entity when they request help. They cover our backs 100% of the time.

KC5MO, KV4BL, W1LVT and 14 others like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I heartily disagree. I am intimately aware of the 'point', and cant tell you how many times I get buttonholed when I tell my pro-related colleagues I am a ham. There is lots of capability out there. 9/11 was a long time ago and lots of people have gotten VERY wise...including some hams wearing both hats.

That's like saying we should get rid of professional dispatchers, because we have...HAM RADIO! ARES!

I am sure the tens of thousands of APCO members would disagree about the priorities in using hams when professional services exist and are available.

No. Its not our place, if there are other options. ARRL should make an easy compilation of those options and not do the work themselves.

Draw attention to jobs for American hams, not discursive services off-mission for a non-profit NGO.

'When all else fails...' also means: STAY OUT OF THE WAY when the pro's are available, and there is no failure.

K3MRI, K8NY, W4HM and 2 others like this.
  11. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You are twisting this around because you have a false argument that holds nothing, it almost reads like you are just trolling for attention.

KV4BL, W1LVT, N5PZJ and 5 others like this.
  12. KK7HO/SK2022

KK7HO/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

KK7HO - I agree with 100%. If the ARRL wants to get into the RFI DFing business they can start with intentional interference issues that are plaguing many frequencies on multiple bands and are usually perpetrated by the same cast of characters. I say that based on the content of the interfering signals.

The job of the ARRL is to represent the Amateur Radio Community - at present - I see them more as a publishing company. That's not all bad - but some additional endeavors into DFing outside of Amateur Radio Related issues is NOT in their charter...

DF the persistent jammers for a change - find the problems affecting the people that you supposedly represent - let the commercial interests assist elsewhere. Just my 2 cents...

NK2U, K8MHZ and KT5OT like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

And you are using shiny, tasty, diversions to get readers to 'kill the messenger'. Nice try.

W4HM, KT5OT and KG7VTO like this.
  14. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love the word "nefarious". :)

While I agree that the ARRL should not make a business of sniffing out RFI for LE, business or anyone but hams, it does put the ARRL (and ham radio) in a positive light. It's good publicity.

So I am conflicted on this one. Think I'll have a cold Corona.

W1LVT, VA6OK and KD6SBR like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If the ARRL wants to run workshops to train hams to do this, and these hams start companies as a result, and sleuth non-Part 97 problems, that would be a fantastic outcome.

W4HM and KT5OT like this.