ad: Schulman-1

Podcast: Foundations of Amateur Radio - Episode 82

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Dec 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."

So, do we really understand our hobby to the point where we can make that explanation? I think not, more to the point, neither do you. The Internet and the airwaves are full of explanations of how things in Amateur Radio work and many of them disagree with each other, sometimes loudly.

This week I take a look at how our understanding of our hobby might be improved.

Foundations of Amateur Radio is a weekly podcast about the 1000 hobbies that make up Amateur Radio. You can listen to it on-air, on-line or on-demand. Visit http://podcasts.itmaze.com.au/, search for VK6FLAB on iTunes or listen to your local weekly amateur radio news broadcast.

Onno VK6FLAB

2. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

My grandmother was a smart lady. It's my brother in law that scares me;)

WN1MB and K1XS like this.
  3. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do subscribe to this principle. Some things are so complicated that it takes a while to explain them in simple terms, but I can do it, if I have to. However, I do have a degree in EE. Exams notwithstanding, there are a lot of hams who can't, and that's OK. The objective is for them not to leave a trail of QRM, not to turn out more EEs.

As for grandmothers, one died before I was born, and the other had multiple medical problems as long as I can remember. She taught my grandfather all her recipes so he could make them as well as her, but he died a year after she did, of a broken heart I would say. Nobody seems to be able to make her bread pudding recipe correctly. Explaining my hobby to her would never have been one tenth as useful as learning her cooking from her. Nearly 40 years since they left us, and never far from my thoughts.

73 de G8VUK/N3KIP

K3SX likes this.
  4. W4DBV

W4DBV Ham Member QRZ Page

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- some smart fellow said this....

5. K3WKK

K3WKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just told her that "it was Magic"... hi hi

6. VK6APZ/SK2022

VK6APZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I never met my grandmother, i recall my mother who passed away 12 years ago asked me how i manage to talk
    all around the world on my radio.
    I said you need good antennas do this.
    She was watching TV at the time and i walked over and unplugged the antenna and oh dear no TV.
    So i said without a TV antenna you have nothing and the same goes for amateur radio.
    She fully understood what it was all about, miss her pickle vegetables, yum yum,