Pocket-sizd HF SDR! (RS-918)

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K0JTA, Feb 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K0JTA

K0JTA Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a radio that is being offered that is quite a lot of pure and simple FUN; -It is the RS-918. It is SDR all the way! I have one, and it does far better than I'd have ever expected, The thing is small enough that it can be put into a large coat-pocket, and has a glorious COLOR display with pano-display as well as a waterfall. Highly customizable radio. It runs at ten watts of output 160 through 10 meters, all modes including FreeDV! There is a user group: -Search for these items, "RS-918" and "groups" and "io" to locate. Cost is well under $500. 73; Mike, K0JTA

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

N0YPD and VE3WI like this.
  3. K0JTA

K0JTA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello! Your mcHF looks MAGNIFICENT!!! Very fine project that represents a lot of high-end SKILL! Yes, the RS-918m is a copy, but not too bad, actually. I had been told that then prices form the PC boards and the components is quite a total, lots higher than your $200 figure. -Then, a case of some kind must be made. Your ability to locate and collect the components is quite remarkable, as you were able to get your radio completed for $200! WELL DONE!!! Thank you for your link and the images of the progress! 73 from Mike, K0JTA

4. W0CHL

W0CHL Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, the RS-918 is a nice rig. I looked at the the webpage ( http://s3com.net/0-RS-918/default.html ) and Mike's setup and testing certainly would be an advantage for the buyer. I noticed the groups io group is very active and lots of software updates happening. I think it's a rig I'm going to have a serious look at!
    Your mileage may vary,
    Jim W0CHL

5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is that the Chinese use poor-quality components. You will not see Amidon cores or high-quality capacitors and inductances in these radios. My radios case is handmade and it cost several bucks only. If you don't want to assemble one yourself it is better IMO to buy upgraded one here http://sp3osj.kooikerhondje.com.pl/eagle/index.html

6. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The RS-918 is a ripped off design of the MCHF

If you buy one you are helping to rip off the designer