Pledge?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AC9SF, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see nothing wrong with it at a club meeting in the United States of America, but I draw the line at confession and communion, it makes the meeting minutes complicated and Father DX takes himself SO seriously...

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If someone sits at the Pledge, isn't that disrespectful?

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not at all. They are not participating.

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet when football players kneel during the anthem.....

Then there's the Bellamy Salute...

5. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Different venue. Club meeting are private, football players are doing it on national TV.
    And part is the intent of the person not participating. Someone sitting out at a club meeting is (generally) declining to participate. Those on TV are protesting (so they say), or saying "look at me".

6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Disrespectful?
    Depends on why 'they' are sitting through it. For some, it isn't easy/possible to stand up very fast, you know? I know several people that don't stand during the Pledge. They still participate though. If some one isn't a citizen and doesn't feel they ought to stand, that's okay too. Being a citizen, or an aspiring citizen has some responsibilities attached to it. Standing during the Pledge is just one of them. I think that's true for any country, not just the USA.

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Citizens of the USA are not required to kneel during the pledge. Citizens and aspiring citizens should stand (if possible) and show respect. Non-citizens aren't required to stand or make the pledge, and I honestly don't expect them too. I know several people who sit during the pledge but it's not from disrespect. They still participate, they just don't stand up. If I sit for any length of time my joints sort of 'freeze up', that's ol'arthur, he's a real pain...

8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

... And I second that "look at me" sentiment. I'll be happy to watch them all the way out the door, waving the whole time. Then I'll go back to whatever I was doing before they left.

9. KB0MLR

KB0MLR Ham Member QRZ Page

My local club does not and if they did, I would decline to participate (in the pledge, not the club). I see no general need for it, but then again, I see no need for a lot of things in life. Words only have the power over you that you grant them, to include the power of offense. I couldn't care less one way or another about these words. Our club also holds the Christmas dinner in a church, and I can assure you that is the only time I would ever enter that building. Just with the pledge, religion is an irrelevance that I spend exactly zero calories being concerned with.

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

you must have expended some calories in making your post.;)

Heck, We always stood for the Japanese anthem when it was played every day at 8:00 A.M. when We lived there for a few years.

... and they returned the courtesy when other states anthems were played.