Pledge?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AC9SF, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe not get up and leave but consider that if someone just didn't come back or stopped coming because of it but would not feel comfortable saying so, you might never know the reason.

KC5SAS and KC8VWM like this.
  2. W3LES

W3LES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W3OK does the pledge every General Meeting.

3. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, every time I visit "they" do this ritual.
    At one time lack of flag in meeting room did not stop them , they "waved" smart phone with the flag on screen.
    It is still free county but I find it hypocritical to even assume it would be OK not to participate in it , especially after what is happening to the fellow who "took the knee".
    And yes, one of the many reasons I am "just a visitor".
    I find such ritual very cheap way to "publicly display patriotism", nothing else.

73 Shirley

N2EY and N6HCM like this.
  4. KM4COF

KM4COF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to disagree about the Pledge being "exclusionary." Perhaps I have a different view on the matter as I have lived in, or been on extend visits to, foreign countries for goodly chunks of my life. In many of these nations the folks there did not hesitate to perform their national anthems, or "pledges" to thier flags or emperor (in one case).
    I did not feel "excluded." I was an American in THEIR country. In every incident I stood, respectfully, while they performed their anthem/pledge/ceremony. I do not see where it is too much to ask a foreign citizen to do so here while we affirm our allegiance to our nation and, in doing so, we do not bear them ill will or malice.
    However, when someone starts telling me that I am not allowed to love my own nation because I might "offend" someone? I start to get a bit grumpy about it.
    IMHO

KQ4MM, K3UJ and ND6M like this.
  5. ON8CB

ON8CB Ham Member QRZ Page

In Belgium we just crack open a beer...

KQ9J, N2EY, KG5RZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"
    : "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A flag is not necessary to recite the Pledge of Allegence.

8. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

...or even a dictionary.

WR2E, W7UUU and N2EY like this.
  9. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree. There is nothing exclusionary about it.

If you are a member of a US ARC, then the Pledge of Allegiance is appropriate.

Pheel

ND6M likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No...but I would respectfully acknowledge those that do and would not feel offended in any way.