ad: w5yi

Playing games with call signs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because there are no "1x2" call signs in "offshore" jurisdictions of the FCC (KP, KH, KL), Amateur Extra licensees in those areas have a very small selection of "2x1" callsigns available. For that and other reasons, the FCC callsign system will not assign a "lower 48" station a callsign with the two letter prefix xP, xH, or xL.

If you have one of those calls because you once resided in KP, KL, or KH you may keep that call if you move to the "lower 48".

This evening I was surprised to work a "club station" in W4-land with a "2X1" call from Alaska. On further digging, I found that the club originally had a 2X3 WL7xxx callsign. So at some time, this "STATE BICENTENNIAL" club in W4 land got themselves an Alaskan callsign, apparently with a mailing address in Alaska. I suppose the rules could be stretched so that is "technically" legal, but why would a club in Alabama go through such shenanigans to glom onto a callsign from Alaska?

Ah, I get it!

So you could later get a VANITY call from Alaska, AL2C, and tie it into your state bicentennial, as in "ALabama-2nd-Century!

Meanwhile the small pool of 2x1 calls for real Alaska stations is diminished.

For reference, here is the pertinent section of FCC procedure which covers this situation:

"
    Each call sign has a one letter prefix (K, N, W) or a two letter prefix (AA-AL, KA-KZ, NA-NZ, WA-WZ) and a one, two, or three letter suffix separated by a numeral (0-9) indicating the geographic region. Two letter prefixes that are designated for regions 11-13 are not available in regions 1-10."

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    K0MB likes this.
  2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and this is why we cannot have nice things

KX4O, WU8Y, WZ7U and 3 others like this.
  3. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC says we can change our call signs pretty much whenever we want. Don't blame the ham.

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree that he gamed the system, but there's no shortage of 2x1 call signs available for Alaska. AE7Q shows 720 available for immediate assignment. There are only 670 Extra class hams in Alaska.

http://www.ae7q.com/query/list/GenLicAvail.php?REGION=11

However,, if you want an AL7, KL7, NL7 or WL7 prefix, the pickings are a lot slimmer.

5. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate vanity calls especially when they are for a different call area

73 Pat N6PAT in upstate New York :D

N1VAU, W1TRY, KA3CTQ and 4 others like this.
  6. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, you do. See your thread, "The Best Video about Band Police Ever", Post #15 :D

W4NNF likes this.
  7. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or any call from a different call area?

8. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I guess to qualify to hold my dad's W9BRD in New Jersey I should have been forced to move back to Chicago.

K4AGO and K2CAJ like this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I'm not in the 4th district I think I should get a 12 call sign. :)
    (not really)

10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Once upon a time in the distant past, the ARRL proposed to the FCC to amend vanity Group A callsign assignments to include calls with a single letter prefix, TWO numerals, and a single letter suffix. example W11X.