ad: ProAudio-1

Planning an install, help with finishing touches...

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N8MLP, Sep 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am planning my first mobile install into a suv. I want it to look as integrated as possible, very professional.

Parts list
    D710
    ProClip Pilar mount
    Power cable (gauge?)
    K400 lip mount
    Larson NMO whip
    Some kind of fused distribution block
    Powerwerks APS12 shutdown timer

The plan is to route the power cable to the rear of the suv and feed a distribution block.

I’ll come off of that into the shutdown timer and radio body. I am hopping to be able to tuck all this away behind a plastic panel.

Then I can keep my antenna feed line as short and thin as possible. Any suggestions on thin feed line?

I’ll run a cat5, probably along side the power cable up to the front of the truck, behind the dash and out the top as discretely as possible.

For audio I’d like to find the smallest decent speaker possible and double stick tape it to the faceplate. That will all be mounted on a proclip A pillar mount.

I might also tinker with a BT transmitter in the headphone jack and send it to the car audio.. just an idea.

Give me your thought and ideas! Thanks guys. Can’t wait to move on from a HT/mag mount

2. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if I'd mess with the timer. Most radios have some auto power off of their own. Although that's not to discourage you from your chosen setup.

For the power wiring, there are several sources, many just on QRZ. One for example:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...used-in-a-mobile-install.652976/#post-5020202

If you're wiring to a distribution block, you're power wire will have to be sized for the total load you'd ever expect, plus 10%, or more. Expect all loads to be at full power at the same time. The cable could get to 6, 4, or 2 gauge real easily. And we haven't even discussed voltage drop. :p

I've shied away from lip mounts - they tend to do worse damage than drilling a hole. But that's me. I just think about those thing wobbling around as you close the door/trunk/hatch.

Make sure you're happy with a pillar mount for the face plate - you'll have to tinker with the knobs, dials, and touch screen (if applicable) more than you'd think.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. N8MLP

The reason I mentioned that particular timer is so I don’t have to mess with hacking into the key on circuit. Seems like it would simplify installation.

Deff not interested in drilling. The alternative to the lip mount would be a fog light bracket that attaches at the hood hinge near the mirrors. I worry about the a pillar messing with my swr.

4. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just reading up on the APS12. Interesting gizmo.

If you have equipment without an auto power off (APO), an interesting compromise.

N8MLP likes this.
  5. N8MLP

I am more interested in using it to be on/off with the ignition.

But I guess I understand about the auto feature of the radio. I’ll have to read the online manual For the d710

6. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like it requires more than just the "ignition" position of the key to turn it on. It will need to see "running alternator" voltage. You may already be aware, just food for thought.

7. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hum. Doing everything correctly, except for the antenna mount!

NH7RO, K7MH, AI7PM and 1 other person like this.
  8. N8MLP

And potentially the power timer

9. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

That^^^^^^^right there. That's not trouble not waiting to happen, that's troubles that WILL happen. If NMO in the roof is a no-go due to garaging, at least use a rigid bracket at a quarter panel.

10. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One thing to keep in mind. A standard old 1/4 wave 2 meter antenna mounted in the center of the roof, will have a better pattern than ANY gain antenna, mounted anywhere else!

N8VIL, NH7RO and AI7PM like this.