PITCARIN DXpedition OCT 2019

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Nov 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember working him a few times. iirc there was another relative later on that I also worked. I just made a fruitless search for their card(s). Some of the stuff that didn't quite make it here :(

I did find cards from the VR6HI 1979 xpedition - my hope is someday to open one of those long put away boxes, just before we throw them out and find at least some of my missing logs and cards.

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

A partially subsidized vacation.

3. WB0ZRD

WB0ZRD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why a waste of effort? There's been little radio activity from there for years. With where we are at in the cycle maybe they thought it wasn't worth the effort and expense when very likely propagation won't be in their favor. Might as well do it on a tropical island!

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Pitcairn is 67th on the Club Log Most Wanted list. Not hugely rare. It should give a lot of "band fills" to many people.

5. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't say there's been little radio activity from there for years.. you had VP6T in 2012, VP6J in 2016 and VP6EU in 2017... but I guess someone will always need it as an ATNO or band fills.

I'd love to see a larger operation go to a few other n0n-rare places (chip shots for west coast but kind of tough on east coast).. Palau for one. Yes, it's activated often by vacationing ops... but it's by no means an easy one from the east coast (ok, well for some of us at least). Someday if I have the time and money I would love to assemble a team and go activate it for others!

6. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was ecstatic to work VR6TY Terry Young on 10m back in 1996, and even more thrilled to get a card from him.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh....that one. Isn't Pitcarin even more rare? :D

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Extremely rare.

(How rare is it?)

So rare, nobody has a QSL from Pitcarin.

So rare, nobody has ever worked Pitcarin.

So rare, Pitcarin isn't on the DXCC list.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So small in fact, it makes a "tempest in a teapot" seem quite large!!

Dave
    W7UUU

pit.PNG

WD0BCT and N2EY like this.
  10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Dxers get to choose where they spend their money and where they operate. Don't like it? Don't need it? Then don't work it. Less of a pileup for those that do want/need it.

KB2FCV likes this.