Pilot's helmet?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KD5RKO, Sep 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

P-3C Orion patrol planes.

This is my squadron in 1986 chasing a Soviet TU-95 Bear ASW plane near Bermuda. I'm in the photo plane in the navigator-communicator seat about 6 feet behind the photographer. "Bad old days" of the Cold War.

The Bear bomber has as much power in one engine as all four engines in the P-3. We had the throttles to the firewall just to keep up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    K1LKP and K0UO like this.
  2. KD5RKO

KD5RKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome. My cousin was flying patrol on the east coast after 9/11. He just retired after over 25 years in the Navy.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did the conversion of a commercial D/C headset some years ago, it required different speakers and microphone. Finding the correct size items wasn't that difficult but certainly not very common either. The really fun part was making the original wiring work instead of just running new conductors. You haven't lived till you've messed with that goo-filled wiring. Lots of fun.

KB0MNM and K0UO like this.
  4. KD5RKO

I was thinking I would just try to keep it original and build a box to plug it into. It would have to provide power, impedance matching and PTT for the mic. Should be just impedance matching for the speakers. And of course matching connectors for the radio side of things. Maybe more complicated than I want but not impossible. Should be a fun project at any rate.

5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If that's how you'd rather do it then good. I had no further use of that headset for 'commercial' purposes and it was easier for me to just swap out what needed it.

KD5RKO likes this.
  6. KD5RKO

I guess I could crack open the plastic case for the mic element and put in a different element. That would save having to add a preamp/bias circuit. I think the speaker elements would be fine as is. There are a few threads concerning aviation headset use here on QRZ.

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI BILL,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE.

tigrone in bermuda.jpg
    THAT'S ME STANDING ON THE GANGWAY.

73 - K1LKP

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Meet me down at the Swizzle Inn for a pitcher of Rum Swizzle or some Dark and Stormies!" bill

K1LKP likes this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SWIZZLE INN.jpg
    ======================== animated-laughing-image- mouse.gif
    N9HI_Have_a_Nice_Day.gif

10. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Please do not crack open the microphone case until you have either checked to see if the electret will work with an isolation circuit and battery supply. There are plenty of schematics for converting older microphones *to electrets*- note that this was common for the D104 Lollipop. Many also gave pinouts for the 8-pin circular connectors used on Kenwood and Icom radios. Working electret microphones such as that one are getting pretty hard to find at reasonable prices. You may be able to disconnect it from the harness with just a 4-pin plug. The impedance is typically around 600 ohm, and that 9-28 VDC often came from a supply with a hum frequency around 400 hz.
    Thanks for your service and have a nice quiet Patriot Day.

KD5RKO and KA0HCP like this.