Pi as a DV Dongle?. Seen a couple videos, anyone actually done this yet?

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by KJ6OJL, Mar 18, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KJ6OJL

KJ6OJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone set up a Pi as a DV dongle. Seen this page http://www.dvmega.auria.nl of the sub boards.
    I am wondering how well it has worked for you.
    Would like to option of internet to link up a Houston TX area repeater to catch a friend of mine.

Im searching and reading yet, all new to me.
    BUT Im also budget ham, no fancy glaze here LOL..

Looking to make a possible alternate of the DV Dongle as they cost a good amount.

2. N3DCP

N3DCP Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't seen any Pi's acting as Dongles but that would be cool if they can. I know the DV Mega is just a GPIO addon to the Pi that makes it into a dual band DVAP. I was gonna pick one up but since they are cheaper then the single band DVAP but never got around to it.

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think George Thomas had a segment on a D-Star Pi project in one of the Amateur Logic episodes.

4. KJ6OJL

5. KJ6OJL

Episode 75, might be others. I need to check. Really would like to find a way to make this a low cost dongle.

6. KJ6OJL

So from reading around etc, Seems I might as well buy a pre made DV dongle. looks like parts alone wise they cost about the same,
    Which feels still high to me 200ish??.
    Shesh, I have a dual band Dstar radio not a 10K base LOL..
    Not sure how far I will go with all this as cost is getting prohibitive. but
    Must say Id love to be able to have a 2 meter rag chew with a friend in texas via dstar

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've run my DVAP Dongle from a Pi for a long time. It's off the air right now, but normally, it just runs and runs and runs and runs. That's a good project for today, now that I think about it. Get the older Pi running with the DVAP again, so I don't need to leave a big computer running anywhere.

I like the wireless setup in the article you posted. Might have to investigate that, but I hate to run up the data plan on my phone.

K6BSO likes this.
  8. XX10XX

XX10XX Ham Member QRZ Page

test reply

9. KM4BLG

KM4BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've gotten it to run using the RTL-SDR command-line app rtl_fm. It is a bit noisy, due to not so good filtering on the Pi, but this is improved when you use a powered hub.

10. KJ6OJL

eventually ill have to figure it out and try it for now the pi sits in a box