ad: JimsOnline-1

Phil 'Gil' Gildersleeve, W1CJD Comics

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N8XE, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N8XE

N8XE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey guys,

I picked up a copy of The Gil Cartoon Book from Universal Radio last week, and I have been enjoying it a great deal. I love comics, especially comics from the first half of the century. One of the things I noticed was how many of the amateur radio opinions and frustrations we express here on this board are reflected in these comics from over 40 to 60 years ago. It was like he made these comics just recently! :D

Some are pretty informative (like best amateur radio practices) and some are pretty funny (poor Jeeves!!).

We need another comic artist/writer back to QST...

Jason N8XE
  2. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

That book is a gem! I love it.

I know a candidate, Jeff, K1NSS of Dashtoons who could fill the bill. Be sure and go to the bookshop and take a look at the first two volumes of the Dash series. If you were an adolescent novice in the early 60's you're SURE to recognize a lot of yourself in Dash! Jeff's work is GOOD! Enjoy! The electronic copies of the books are pretty affordable.
  3. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I have long been a fan of Gil's work. Also that of N2EST who did QST illustrating in the '80s.

Certainly we could learn to laugh at ourselves a bit more. Someone with the story telling skills of John Troster, W6ISQ, and the way Gil, W1CJD, could capture the amateur radio experience in a scene are much needed today. As we consider amateur radio a fun and entertaining hobby, our publications should reflect that. I can't draw so I'm out of the running.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EST did the cover art for the Opus, as well as the section headings. He also illustrated my very first QST article back in 1983.

I'm also a huge fan of Gil. He captured the "vibes" of ham radio better than anyone.

5. N8XE

N8XE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Half way through the Opus :) I wonder if we could get N2EST to do some work for QST?

Jason N8XE
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe Jim just finished a major ARRL project. :)
  7. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems Gil did a bit of freelancing too:

I suspect that the stamp is covering his signature on this card. The other two have his, er, signature signature.

I'm quite certain Gil did her caricature from this photo.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  8. K1NSS

K1NSS Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.