ad: portazero-1

Petiton started to void HOA Antenna Restrictions.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KZ5R, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NE1LL

NE1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC 47 CFR 1.4000 gives the right to receive broadcast T.V. signals. Clearly Amateur Radio should have these same rights.

On aesthetics, what is worse than:
    Trash cans on the curb every week.
    Utility boxes, poles and meters hanging off the side of your house
    Mail boxes
    Circulars and other had bills hanging on your door
    Traffic signs like "Stop" and "block watch" not to mention alarm company signs that are really for advertising
    Those lawn care guys and their loud mowers and ugly trucks every week
    Stakes placed to mark plowed areas in the winter
    That ugly fence around the pool
    House numbers, I actually got nailed for this until the code enforcement office chimed in.
    Street lights
    Lawn sprinklers with all their valves
    Sewer, sewer cover, water main access covers, natural gas valve covers.

I mean how many of the above do you see everyday and not really pay attention?

2. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wrote the petition for the FCC to void hoa antenna restrictions and my name is on it as the originator. I had nothing to do with writing any criteria for the flagpoles in your HOA or with initiating a petition in your HOA. I hope this clears up any posible misunderstanding. Here in Florida our flagpole law is very clear about what is permitted and where on one's property it is allowed. Our law also provides substantial penalties for anyone attempting to interfere with one's right to erect a flagpole in compliance with the Florida statute.

Tim Cotton, N4UM

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's kind of a backdoor way that goverments mandate HOAs. A developer comes to the local zoning commission and says "I want to build X number of homes here. Can I get permits and zoning to do that." The zoning commission then tells that developer that they can (or cannot) build their development if you have an HOA with a national recognized standard. This is why all HOAs have just about the exact same standards. This is not an out in the open, up for discussion and you have other choices to select from type of thing. It's their way or the highway. The builder also see's this as something to keep their development as pristine as possible until they have sold all their development. However, the HOA rarely dies after that and continues for a much longer time.
    Gary

P.S. It shouldn't be hard for fellow amateurs to understand the value of better communications as it pertains to all endeavors we amateur are engaged in. It is just a simple fact that better antennas equals better communication reliability. Outside antennas can be larger and have more effective areas for installation in a proper manner.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

If FCC 47 CFR 1.4000 gives the right to receive broadcast T.V. signals - then you should be able to put up a dualband (VHF - UHF) beam or even a vertical. If they ask, tell them it's for receiving T.V. signals.

5. KW7RF

6. N7COA

N7COA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in a terrible area. The covenants restrict me to a tower height no greater than 50 feet. If I go higher and there are no complaints for 30 days the addition stays.

7. KW7RF

You are very lucky !

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

One also has to live where one can find work. If you can find work where your boat or chain saw is immensely useful, and can practice Amateur Radio at the same time, fine. You ARE lucky. Not all of us have that option, in the pursuit of meaningful employment to support ourselves and families.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There's an abyss between the difference of an HOA being required by a state or local government (probably not legal) and a HOA with CC&R's that are concocted by a developer!

DEVELOPERS will envision a community of units and residences "all ticky-tacky, and all just the same," so there's no variation from their vision.
    Local governments may suggest or develop plans to ensure "community safety," but that's about the limit of their authority.
    HOA's can be changed by the home owners themselves. CC&R's can also be changed, although the developer may have a bit more authority in that respect until they go bankrupt or sell all the units in the community.

10. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

11. KF5OFC

KF5OFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in a HOA and I just put up a 60 foot Rohn tower. I am putting a TH6DXX on top of that. As of this day they have no restrictions on antennas. If they decide to put them in the books they will have to grandfather me in I guess.

12. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

. . . 700 plus signatures as of Tuesday 4/17 at 1 PM EDST !!!

13. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

Me, too. I simply refused to live in an HOA-controlled subdivision, opting for an older home with more "personality..and control of my OWN property. I will accept reasonable zoning and asthetic regulations (such as keeping the grass cut, etc), but I will NOT accept some four-eyed little P-ant HOA "president", full of his "authority" coming over and telling me what I can do on my own property! I bought it, I paid for it, and no one is to come telling me I can't park my Jeep on the lawn if I want to. I'll put up as many antennas as I want to! And if they ever were to form an HOA in this quiet little neighborhood, I'll tell 'em to take a hike. I AIN'T SIGNIN' UP!!!!!!!! NOW GIT!!!!!! :D

14. AG6JU

AG6JU Guest

it seems like HOA might be the future style of living. well, I always lived in apartment , so I operated indoor wire antenna , or hidden antenna, I can still operate Ham Radio, I guess I am in compromised situation.

15. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

801 petition signatures at 6:15 PM EDST 4/18/2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.