ad: UR5CDX-1

Petition on amateur antennas to UK Parliament launched

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by MW1CFN, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4PWO

G4PWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Beyond the immediate selfish (but very real, lol) desire I have for a 50m mast and 7 element Yagi built at the expense of my neighbour's sea view, I do not understand why anyone thinks this is a good idea.

The point of planning restrictions is that we sacrifice our own right to construct whatever we want on our land (to the potential detriment of our neighbours) as part of a contract that *our neighbours too sacrifice the right to build whatever they want*, to the potential detriment of us.

We personally can't see why they would not love our antenna farm right next door, perhaps they personally can't see why we would not love their industrial-scale pig farm right next door?

G8KNC, F8WBD, ND6M and 2 others like this.
  2. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Awwww, C'mon ...any campaign is better than no campaign...trouble is, too many hams consider themselves upstanding members of the community....sometimes you have to play outside the rulebook , Consider the small number of hams her in the UK ( 70,000 maybe, and less than half active , and even more just using hand talkies or very small wire antennas ) I can't understand why anyone would make a big issue....my village is blessed with more than it's fair share of " village idiots "....there are some good folk too... too bad I am a HF operator. I could think of a thousand things to complain about, but frankly, I'm too busy DXing , and enjoying this all to brief life......

GD0OUD and M1WML like this.
  3. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course not, but the essence of starting a negotiation is that you ask for more than you are prepared to settle for!

4. 2E0WMG

2E0WMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe but this is not a negotiation, the person who started the petition will have no further recourse to making a submission or an amendment that’s just not how this process works. In the extremely unlikely event the petition got 100,000 signatures and it were debated you would need to then lobby MPs to support it, and then what? A private members bill, yea right oh...

The OP states “there is precious little lobbying going on by national societies” and indeed he may be right. No doubt there are many RSGB detractors out there, the what have the RSGB ever done for us people but the best chance of getting anything done to relax such laws is through them. I would be interested to know what the originator of the petition has done (if anything) to lobby the RSGB to push this forward. Imperfect it may be but the RSGB is member led, if as he claims they are doing precious little chances are that they are not getting hundreds of members knocking on their do to do so.

So, regardless that the mechanisim does not work that way what is the less that you would settle for?

Please come back in a year, or whenever the ‘negotitations’ have finished and let me know how much progress has been made.

Not being negative, just realistic.

GD0OUD and M3MCH like this.
  5. M0VOC

M0VOC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I signed it now many MP's are Hams

6. M6KHE

M6KHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure this will get much interest. it says exempt from planning permission? it would be a free for all if this was the case. But singed anyway... Good luck.

7. W1RDT

W1RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Throw a tea party...I understand that has work pretty well in the past.

G6YYN, G3SEA, G8KNC and 1 other person like this.
  8. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO i think it's doomed to failure, but because i believe in democracy (soon to be a thing of the past in this country) i voted for it anyway. I wish the petition every success.

9. M3MCH

M3MCH Ham Member QRZ Page

Spot on ! At the moment it stands at 3019 signatures. If the RSGB started a campaign for sensible planning relaxation and 3019 members signed it we would have a real voice ;)

10. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not appreciate having my personal email address spammed with this request. Please do not send unsolicited emails to rally support for this campaign.

Thank you.

Walt (G3NYY)

11. G6RAQ

G6RAQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Done this...

12. G4IYK

G4IYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe it.

13. G4IYK

G4IYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How many?

14. G7PKU

G7PKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just signed it, about time ;)
    G7PKU

15. GM0GTU

GM0GTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it was a big mistake to include CBers in this petition. No government or authority is going to take us seriously if we align ourselves with them.

G3NYY and G7DAZ like this.